Legal Advice

Deemed conveyance by builder or promoter after thirty seven years 

Question: Deemed conveyance by builder or promoter after thirty seven years is possible or not. Hi, I live in a housing society which has not got its conveyance in 37 years. The promoters are very much around. In fact one of them stays in our housing society. The builder has passed away. In 2014 our chawl restarted the process of conveyance after we failed miserably in 2008 under the amnesty scheme. What bothers me is that we have opted to go for deemed conveyance even without completely exhausting the possibility of getting the conveyance from the promoter directly.  No official letter sent by the managing committee & no legal notice served. Which is one of the most important documents for the deemed conveyance. I suspect some of the committee members are in cahoots with the promoters who harbour the ambition of redeveloping our project. I have singularly been voicing to serve a legal notice on the promoters.  Please advise the best step forward as the AGM comes up in a week's time? Thanks in advance


The flat takers have been residing here for thirty seven years. Builder never wanted to construct any more flats because he never applied to the concerned authority for granting additional floor space index (FSI). Therefore, it is a fit case for deemed conveyance. 

Deemed conveyance

For deemed conveyance the terms and condition of the agreement duly executed between the builder/promoter and flat buyers shall still applicable. You (flat buyers) cannot ignore the conditions to which agreements for sale were executed. In Tushar Jivram Chauhan v. State of Maharashtra, 2015 SCC OnLine Bom 3865 the Bombay High Court has held that the entitlement of deemed conveyance, even if any, cannot be beyond the agreement between the parties.

It is settled that one cannot transfer any movable and immovable property unless he possesses the right to do so in accordance with law. There are various facets and/or aspects of transfer of property movable and/or immovable. 

If, according to the prevailing terms and conditions of the agreement for sale, builder/promoter and his legal heirs still have the power to execute deed of conveyance in the favour of flat buyers, then you can approach the concerned authority under the MOFA Act, to compel the builder’s legal heir to execute conveyance deed.     

The Maharashtra Ownership Flats (Regulation of the Promotion of Construction, Sale, Management and Transfer) Rules, 1964, Rule. 13 deals with deemed conveyance. Thus, deemed conveyance is still possible by builder or promoter even after thirty seven years of transferring possession to the flat buyers. 

In this situation you should apply to the appropriate authority constituted under the MOFA Act, to issue a deemed conveyance certificate to the flat buyers. 

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.