Legal Advice

Current legal status of ‘triple talaq’ in India

Question: I work as a fashion designer, and my husband is a doctor. Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in 2019, my business has been on a decline, leading to financial losses. Unfortunately, my husband has declined to provide me with financial support during this challenging time. Moreover, he pronounced 'talaq,' which was 'talaq ul biddat.' I would like to understand the current legal status of 'triple talaq' in India. As a woman facing financial difficulties, I am in a destitute situation and require assistance to support my family. Can Waqf provide financial aid to help me sustain my family?


Triple talaq, also known as “talaq-e-bid’ah” or instant triple talaq, was declared illegal in India through the enactment of the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986, and more significantly, through the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019. The 2019 law criminalized the practice of triple talaq, making it a punishable offense.

Current legal status of triple talaq in India

  1. Triple talaq is prohibited and considered void: Pronouncing “talaq” thrice in one sitting, whether spoken, written, or through electronic means, is not legally recognized as a valid means of divorce.
  2. Criminal offense: The 2019 law made pronouncing triple talaq a criminal offense, and a husband can face imprisonment for up to three years for doing so.
  3. Protection for Muslim women: The legislation was enacted to protect the rights and interests of Muslim women, ensuring they are not subject to arbitrary and instant divorce, which often left them without financial support or legal remedies.
  4. Legal divorce process: Muslim men who wish to divorce their wives are required to follow the legal divorce procedure, which involves providing a written notice of the intended divorce to the wife and going through a legal process in court.

It’s important to note that these legal reforms were implemented to safeguard the rights of Muslim women and prevent the misuse of triple talaq. Therefore, pronouncing triple talaq in its traditional form does not have any legal standing in India and can lead to legal consequences for the husband.

Salient features of Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019

The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019, commonly referred to as the “Triple Talaq” law, is a significant legislative development in India aimed at protecting the rights of Muslim women and prohibiting the practice of instant triple talaq. Here are the salient features of this Act:

  1. Prohibition of Triple Talaq: The Act declares the practice of instant triple talaq, whereby a Muslim husband can divorce his wife by uttering “talaq” thrice in one sitting, as illegal and void. This prohibition seeks to prevent arbitrary and instantaneous divorces that often left women in vulnerable positions.
  2. Criminal Offense: The Act makes pronouncing triple talaq a criminal offense, and a Muslim husband who pronounces instant triple talaq can face imprisonment for up to three years.
  3. Protection of Women’s Rights: The primary objective of the law is to protect the rights and interests of Muslim women, ensuring that they are not subject to instant divorce without legal recourse or financial support.
  4. Legal Divorce Procedure: Muslim men who wish to divorce their wives are required to follow the legally prescribed divorce procedure. This involves serving a written notice of the intended divorce to the wife and going through a formal legal process in court.
  5. Maintenance for Women: The Act empowers the courts to grant maintenance to the wife and her children while the divorce proceedings are ongoing.
  6. Custody of Children: The law also addresses the issue of custody of children after the divorce, allowing the wife to seek custody of her minor children.
  7. Non-Bailable Offense: The offense of pronouncing triple talaq is non-bailable, which means that the accused husband may not be granted bail immediately after arrest.
  8. Protection of Rights: The Act emphasizes the protection of the rights of Muslim women and the prevention of discrimination against them based on their marital status.
  9. Legal Recourse for Muslim Women: The legislation provides Muslim women with a legal framework to challenge instant triple talaq and seek remedies through the Indian legal system.
  10. Deterrent to Misuse: By criminalizing the practice and establishing legal consequences, the Act acts as a deterrent to the misuse of triple talaq.

The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019, was enacted to address the challenges faced by Muslim women in India concerning instant triple talaq and to ensure that their rights and dignity are protected within the framework of Indian law. It has been a significant step in promoting gender justice and equality.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.

Alleged Forgery and Misrepresentation: Discrepancies in BPCL Petrol Pump’s Diesel Storage Reported to PESO

Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) issues license to Bharat Petroleum Corporation’s petrol pumps for storage of Petrol/Diesel. A petrol pump of BPCL illegally filled diesel in a tanker beyond the permissible limits for which a complaint was lodged by me with PESO. PESO asked for an explanation. In its reply, the BPCL officer under reported the quantity of diesel filled in the tanker and in support of his claim, submitted a forged sales data which was prepared after deleting sales entries from the computerised records. The fact that the sales data was forged was brought to the notice of PESO by me after PESO shared BPCL’s reply with me. PESO again questioned BPCL to which they confirmed that their dealer had deleted entries from the data. Subsequently, PESO has written to the police to take action under the Petroleum Act according to which the offence is bailable whereas I am asking PESO to file an FIR since forgery of data, preparation of a false document and its use as a genuine one is a serious offence under the IPC. The PESO officer refuses to do so. Is he right in not filing an FIR ? Am I unjustified in demanding an FIR in the matter ?