Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Criminal case for kissing a girl

Criminal case for kissing a girl

Shivendra Pratap Singh


07/05/2021/ 8:31:30 PM

Reading Time:

Father of a girl has filed a criminal case against me for kissing her. Now the complainant wants to compromise with an apology. Ninety days have completed but the investing officer did file a charge sheet. How much time does the investigating officer take to close this case. Sir, whether the court or police officer will close my case? I want to close this case as early as possible because I’m mentally disturbed. What is the process to close this case earlier? Can I quash this case?

Question from: Telangana

Kissing is an act of sexual harassment u/s 354-A IPC

This is an offence punishable under Section 354-A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). You have committed an offence of sexual harassment. Physical contact with sexual overture is an act of sexual harassment. This is a grave invasion of personal liberty. 

You have intentionally touched another person with sexual overture. Touching a body of a woman with advancement of sexual overture constitutes offence of sexual harassment. The mens rea (criminal intention) of the offence is the intention to touch. Your conduct is sexual per se.

The victim (girl) would have given her statement under Section 164 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc). That statement is a relevant piece of evidence and it is sufficient to hold you guilty if it gets corroboration from some independent evidence. The investigation officer also recorded her statement. Hence, prosecution has sufficient evidence to prove that you have kissed her. 

Sexual harassment (Section 354-A) is a non-compoundable offence

Sexual harassment is a non-compoundable offence hence, compromise is not possible. The court will not grant permission to compromise this case. Statement of victims is a very strong evidence in sexual harassment case. Therefore, your conviction is apparent in the criminal case of kissing a girl. 

You have been on bail hence, the mandatory time period for filing of charge sheet will not apply in your case. The investigating officer will submit the charge sheet after its completion. There is no time period for submission of a charge sheet if the accused is being on bail.    

Neither the police nor the court will close this case. The court will acquit you only if prosecution fails to prove your guilt beyond reasonable doubt. If the victim becomes hostile in the trial or does not produce cogent or sufficient evidence of kissing then you can get benefit of doubt. 

Quashing of sexual harassment case

You are an accused in a criminal case for kissing a girl without her consent. The statement of the victim is itself sufficient to lodge the First Information Report (FIR). The prosecution also gets the statement of victim under section 164 crpc immediately after lodging the FIR. Hence, there is sufficient material on the record to show that you have committed the said offence. 

In this situation, the High Court will not quash this case under section 482 of the crpc. If the High Court finds that there is a prima facie case made out against the accused then it will not quash the criminal proceeding. The Supreme Court has given seven guidelines for quashing criminal cases. 

Your case does not fall in any of those guidelines hence, you will get no relief from the High Court. Don’t waste time in seeking quashing of this criminal case of kissing.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of...

Conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act

Question: Please advise whether I have any remedy against the conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act. On 2nd April 2018 Mr. Takunichi was on his way to Changlang from Itanagar travelling in a white Scorpio bearing registration No. XXXX. His friend Mr. Dikunima...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.