Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Correction in sale deed: How to rectify errors?

Correction in sale deed: How to rectify errors?

Shivendra Pratap Singh


05/07/2021/ 12:49:52 PM

Reading Time:

Question: The particulars of land are wrongly mentioned in the sale deed. Therefore, I want correction in the sale deed to rectify errors as soon as possible. What is the procedure for amendment in sale deed and how much expense will incur in modification? I think rectification of sale deed becomes necessary when the material information is incorrect. Please advise how to get correction and remove mistakes from sale deed?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

When a deed does not reflect correct information then it becomes necessary for the parties to get correction or execute a supplementary deed. Execution of supplementary deed is expensive because you have to pay the stamp duty thereof. So here we discuss how to amend the registered sale deed?

Correction in sale deed

You should file a rectification application before the Registrar for correction or amendment in the sale deed. The Registrar has the power to correct any apparent “mistake of facts” in sale deed on a nominal fee. You should present the rectification application on the affidavit. Annex all evidence with the application which supports your prayer of corrections.

Also read: How to get correction in land record

“Mistakes of facts” means that the Registrar can correct only factual mistakes like description of property, spelling or clerical mistakes. He cannot correct any legal mistake like:

  • Change the name of seller or buyer
  • Particulars of another property
  • Substitute a buyer or seller
  • Add in the sale deed a new buyer or seller 

If there is any legal mistake which is curable and no need to execute a fresh sale deed then you should file a civil suit under Section 26 of the Specific Relief Act 1963 (SRA). You should also make the Registrar as a defendant in the suit for rectification of sale deed. These are the curable legal mistakes in respect of which you can file a civil suit under Section 26 of SRA.

  • Deed does not reflect the real intention of parties 
  • Due to fraud of a party the wrong information mentioned in the deed.
  • Removal of ambiguous nature of instrument or deed. 

Sale deed is an important document of ownership. Any material mistake may raise in future unnecessary litigation. The opposite party (seller or his legal heirs) can assail your property right and make unnecessary claims on the ground of mistakes in sale deed. You should initiate the proceeding for correction of the sale deed and secure your rights in the property.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Stepmother demanding full share in father’s property

Question: Our property was transferred from pagdi to ownership and no registration was done in the name of my mother. Stepmother is demanding full share in father’s property. My mother died in 1999 and my father take noc from all children. Three sisters and 1 brother...

My neighbour’s window shutters are opening in my area

Question: My neighbour's window shutters are opening in my area of boundary, he has not left adequate setbacks.  His solar pipes are continuously leaking into our entrance passage.  Even on request he is not doing anything about these problems. Please...

Housing society is demanding extra charges for car parking

Question: I have a flat in the apartment. The housing society has provided me with one car parking in the basement. I have three cars and two of them have been parked in the common area. Now the housing society is demanding extra charges for car parking in the common...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.