Paid Advise

Conviction on invalid sanction for prosecution: What should I do?

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

33507 Advices

41371 Consultations

Reading Time:

Question: My brother is a PCS officer and recently the court has convicted him under the Prevention of Corruption Act. The prosecution took sanction from the state government without following the process. Thus conviction based on invalid sanction for prosecution. The sanctioning authority did not examine the material evidence and deputed a subordinate officer to complete the sanction procedure. 

The whole proceeding was conducted malafidely on the direction of the then chief minister. My advocate filed an application in the court to drop the proceeding because the sancion is invalid. But the court has rejected that application and concluded the trial within eight months. Due to lack of knowledge I could not take proper proceeding against the rejection of my application. I want to file an appeal against the judgment. Please help me. 

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

You should file an appeal as soon as possible. Your brother is entitled to acquit because the entire proceeding and trial is vicious. If the sanction is invalid the accused has a right to challenge it at any stage of proceeding.

Valid sanction under section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act (PC Act) is mandatory. The trial under PC Act cannot proceed on invalid sanction. Sanction must be valid and issued in the due process.

Accused is entitled to acquittal on invalid sanction

In State of Karnataka Vs. Ameerjan (2007) 11 SCC 273 the Supreme Court has held that if the sanction is invalid the accused is entitled to be acquitted. 

Section 19 of the PC Act provides protection to the public servant against frivolous prosecution. The sanctioning authority is the best person to judge whether there is sufficient evidence against the public servant to prosecute him under the PC Act.

Sanction of prosecution without examining the evidence amounts to refusal of protection available to public servants under Section 19 PC Act. It proves that the sanctioning authority has not applied his mind when granted sanction. 

The order of sanction must reflect the fact that:

  • The sanction for prosecution was issued by the competent sanctioning authority.
  • Sanction order must be passed after proper application of mind. 
  • Sanctioning authority had the report of the investigating officer at the time of granting sanction.
  • The report prima facie proves that the accused has committed the alleged offence.
  • The material sent with the report must be sufficient to enable the sanctioning authority to take a prudent order about sanction.
  • Sanctioning authority must pass the order of sanction solely on the basis of the report of the investigating officer.

File an appeal before the High Court

You should file an appeal against the order of conviction because sanction is invalid in law. If you have evidence to prove that sanction was invalid the High Court will reverse the judgment of the trial court. Your brother will get the order of acquittal form the high court. 

The above conditions are mandatory for a valid sanction. Lack of any condition will render the sanction invalid. In State (Inspector of Police) Vs. Surya Sankaram Karri – (2006) 7 SCC 172 the Supreme Court has acquitted the accused on the basis of invalid sanction.

In your case, the sanctioning authority cannot depute a subordinate officer to accord sanction for prosecution. It is a violation of statutory provision. Such a violation causes miscarriage of justice.

In Karnataka through CBI vs. C. Nagarajaswamy [(2005) 8 SCC 370] the Supreme Court has held that: grant of proper sanction by a competent authority is a sine qua non for taking cognizance of the offence.

You will get justice by the High Court because conviction on invalid sanction is bad in law. Hence, you should file the appeal as soon as possible.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Threatening woman on revealing the truth to family 

Question: A man is threatening a woman on revealing the truth to her family. I'm a husband. I'm writing this for my wife. She had an affair with a person and she also helped him with money in his difficult time without informing me. Few days back she apologised...

In 498A, will my family get arrested?

Question: In 498A, will my family get arrested? My wife has filed a false case against my family. She wanted to marry her friend but due to pressure from her father she married me. There is no fault from my side but due to the whim of my wife my family is facing...

Can I file a complaint against the family court?

Question: Can I file a complaint against the family court? Asked from: Kerala You can file a complaint against the sitting subordinate court judge for his misconduct or dishonest conduct in dealing lawsuits. But you must have credible and clinching evidence to prove...

Section 383 Indian Penal Code: Extortion

Section 383: Extortion Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which...

My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend 

Question: My sister was in a relationship for 7 yrs and after that she decided to part ways with boyfriend due to some issues. My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend. She was informed this in 2020 and after that asked him not to contact him. He visited...

My boyfriend has exploited me by spending money on me

Question: My boyfriend and I had a relationship for 6 yrs. My boyfriend has exploited me by spending money on me and I spent too little as I was a student. We were both happy because he spent a lot of money on me and bore my study expenses.  But now I am unhappy with...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.