Legal Advice

Convert divorce case in to mutual consent divorce


Can court convert the divorce case filed under section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act into the Divorce of Mutual Consent under section 13B of the same Act? I filed a divorce case under section 13 at Jhansi Family court. The opposite party i.e. my wife, never appeared in the court. Now my wife has agreed to divorce on a mutual consent basis at Vadodara. She is working at Vadodara. Now she is telling me that first you have to withdraw the case (sec13). After that, we can file a case under 13B.   Is it legal to file a case under 13B without withdrawing the existing divorce case. Is it mandatory to withdraw an existing case under section 13 before filing a case under 13B.


Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 provides grounds for divorce. All the grounds mentioned in this section are based upon the guilt theory. The plaintiff is bound to prove the guilt of the defendant to get a divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act.

Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act provides divorce by mutual consent. It is a special remedy for the parties if their marriage has irretrievably broken down, and they want to end the nuptial knot by their mutual consent. In mutual consent divorce, the spouses have to prove that they have been living separately for more than one year, they have agreed with their free consent that the marriage should be dissolved, and the parties have not been able to live together.

If a divorce petition is already filed under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, and at a later stage of the proceeding, both parties agree to proceed for mutual consent divorce, they can do so. They can withdraw the divorce petition and file a fresh petition under Section 13-B. A divorce petition filed under Section 13 does not automatically convert into Section 13-B on the application of parties.

Consent of parties is the essential part of divorce under Section 13-B. Therefore, the court must be satisfied that the consent of parties is not obtained by force, fraud, or undue influence, and they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

Under Section 13-B(2), the parties are required to make a joint motion not earlier than six months after the date of presentation of the petition and not later than 18 months after the said date. This motion enables the court to proceed with the case to satisfy itself about the genuineness of the averments in the petition and also to find out whether the consent was not obtained by force, fraud, or undue influence.

In Sureshta Devi v. Om Prakash, (1991) 2 SCC 25, if one of the parties at that stage says that “I have withdrawn my consent,” or “I am not a willing party to the divorce,” the court cannot pass a decree of divorce by mutual consent.

In mutual consent divorce, the consent may be withdrawn by any party at any time or stage of the proceeding but before the passing of the decree. Mutual consent should continue until the divorce decree is passed. It is a positive requirement for the court to pass a decree of divorce.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Builder not providing parking spot as per the approved plan

Of the total parking slots allotted, two flats, 1503 and (705-6) are allotted spots on ‘humanitarian grounds.’ These two homes pay INR 2500+ per month for parking. Nominal parking rates in the building are Rs 200 per month. These houses with nominal parking rates have bought/included a parking spot as part of their main agreement itself. Currently no parking in the building is under stilt or in the garage. All cars are parked in the open and have no assigned/designated spots. In 2017, a SGM resolution was passed to take parking charges from flat 1503 (mine) as part of monthly maintenance. However, since Jan 2023, I have been asked to pay these charges in advance. Parking charges have been paid up to September 2023 in two instalments. Both the above instalments have been paid under ‘delayed circumstance’ due to the ongoing discussions to add, A total of 45 parking spots have been approved by BMC K-Ward and 1 each has been made available to tenants/members in houses with carpet area above 70 M.sq. One of the two houses is mine, aka 1503. (can share the exhibit if needed) My question therefore is:
1. Can the builder and later the society make allocations against the BMC’s approved list? 2. If yes, can I as owner and member of flat 1503 – question the MC/society and get my parking spot back? 3. Can the MC charge different rates for parking spots, those given via agreement and to those on ‘humanitarian grounds’? How do I fight this and what precedences and legal recourse do I have? Details: I am the house owner. The house is in Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra The building has two banks – which have been allocated 10 instead of 7 spots as per BMC approved list (can share if needed).

Labours are frequently entering our premises without permission

My neighbor’s plot is under construction, and the contractor and labours are frequently entering our premises without permission. They have also failed to clean up the construction materials and waste from our property. When I asked them to address this issue, the owner of the property used abusive language towards me and my family. Do you have any advice on how to handle this situation?

Can I seek quashing of FIR on expiry of limitation period?

FIR was charged against me on 02/05/2019. I was called to the police station on 02/12/2019 and was released on station bail. They have charged IPC 354 D (stalking through email). But after which no response was there. Recently I got a govt job and when applied for a police clearance certificate I came to know the FIR is pending. The police have not filed charge sheet till date to my knowledge. Can I quash the FIR based on expiry of limitation period.

My boyfriend raped me in the influence of narcotics drugs

Boyfriend had raped me after I said no to sex. I live in xxxxx, I was visiting my boyfriend and stayed at his flat at that time in xxx. We have been in a relationship of 1 year.  We’ve had a physical relationship where we had consensual sex whenever we met. He had been under the influence of Marijuana (and I don’t know what else) when he didn’t respect my no and raped me last week. This has happened once before with him (also when he was on the same drugs, some months ago) but he promised that it won’t happen again. He is a drug addict and takes it 2-3 times a week, at least for the last 5 years. What charges can I press on him?

What actions should you take against an attempt to murder?

My neighbour has attempted to murder in a land dispute. He along with others came to my house with firearms and started shouting, abusing and hitting my gate. When I came out to stop them from doing such a violence, they broke out and beat me with a club and sharp edge gandasa. I suffered some minor injuries on my arm, back and thigh. One injury on my head is severe. That is life threatening so I want to take proper legal action against them. Please suggest what actions I should take against them for an attempt to murder?

India: The Emerging Hub of Cyberstalking

Introduction: The digital age, while bringing numerous benefits, has also opened the doors to new forms of crime. With its massive internet user base, India is grappling with the dark side of the digital revolution: cyberstalking. While the country prides itself on...