Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Contradiction in dying declaration : chances of conviction

Contradiction in dying declaration : chances of conviction

Question: My brother is accused in a murder case. He is innocent but the police have falsely implicated him in this case. The dying declaration of the deceased does not support his role in the murder of Ramnaresh Kushwaha. There is a contradiction in the dying declaration so I want to know what is the chance of conviction of my brother? 

Question from: Madhya Pradesh

Dying declaration is an important piece of evidence under Section 32(2) of the Indian Evidence Act. The court can convict the accused on the sole evidence of dying declaration if it seems true. It is the duty of the prosecution to prove the dying declaration of the deceased. 

You said that there are contradictions in the dying declaration. If there are more dying declarations than one then it may have some contradions and the court will check the veracity of dying declarations. In case there is only one dying declaration then contradion is not possible. 

In the first sceneration the court may discard the dying declaration if the contradictions are major and significant. The court will reject the dying declaration and cannot convict the accused on such a dying declaration. Thus, the conviction will base upon the proof of other criminating evidence.  

In case of minor contradictions the court will not reject the dying declaration. Because, the witness has the tendency to refine his statement. 

Contradiction between dying declaration and other evidence

A dying declaration becomes contradictory if it does not get corroboration from the other independent evidence like post mortem report, evidence of eye witness etc. In this situation the court will not rely on the dying declaration but appreciate other evidence. 

This is not a rule that the court will acquit the accused on the suspicious dying declaration. Whereas, the court will convict the accused if the prosecution has successfully proved the culpability of the accused. The prosecution can prove the guilt of your brother by other evidence. So, I can’t say that the court will acquit your brother because the dying declaration remains disproved. There is a good chance that the court will convict the accused on the evidence other than dying declaration. 

Lawyer’s advice

Friend filed criminal case of cheating : What I should do?

Question: I am doing a business of terrace farming. My friend is a partner in my business. He does not help me but comes on each week to take his share in profit. Yesterday he filed a false criminal case of cheating in XXX police station. He has alleged in the FIR...

Can I challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution?

Question: I want to challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution. The CBI obtained the sanction for prosecution by force and using undue means. My superior officer was working under pressure of the CBI and granted the sanction prosecution. Now I have retired and...

Fee for FIR: Do I have to pay any fee for lodging FIR?

Section 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 provides a procedure for lodging an FIR. There is no fee or charge for FIR (first information report) of a cognisable offence. The officer incharge of the police station shall record the information about a cognisable...

Ex-boyfriend sending obscene messages to my husband

Sending obscene messages or lascivious materials in electronic form is an offence under Section 67 of the Information Technology Act 2008. The recipient of such an indecent messages should lodge an FIR against the person who is sending those messages. Those messages are itself sufficient to prove the culpability.

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.