Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Consumer forum case is dismissed in default

Consumer forum case is dismissed in default

I have filed a case before the consumer forum but due to nonappearance in the hearing, my case is dismissed by the forum. Can I file another case before the consumer forum or file an appeal before the state consumer forum.

Your case is dismissed for default. According to Order 9 Rule 9(1) of the code of civil procedure when the plaintiff is absent at the time of hearing of the case and suit is dismissed in default of the plaintiff, a second suit on the same cause of action would not lie because it is barred by order 9 rule 8 of the code of civil procedure.

Above mentioned provision is not made in the consumer protection rule thus subsequent case on the same cause of action is not barred by the consumer forum rules. Whenever rules of consumer forum are silent on any point of law and further action is necessary for the disposal of the case the consumer forum is bound to take the assistance of the code of civil procedure. In this condition provision made in order 9 rule, 9 and 8 will be applicable in the proceeding before the consumer forum.

In New India Assurance Co. Ltd. Vs R. Srinivasan (2000) 3 SCC  it is held by the supreme court of India that Order 9 Rule 9(1) & Order 9 Rule 8 do not apply in the proceeding before the consumer forum because the case was not decided on the merit and it is dismissed in default on the non-appearance of the party, therefore, it would be permissible to file a second complaint on the same cause of action explaining why the earlier complaint could not be pursued and was dismissed in default.

Therefore you can file the second complaint on the same cause of action and it would be admitted by the forum if it satisfies that you had a valid reason for non-appearance in the previous case which was dismissed in default.

Lawyer’s advice

Tenant has promised to clear the dues shortly

I rented my house in March 2021 through a rental agreement. Police verification was done at that time but I couldn't collect the same because of being out of Station due to Corona. Now the man of property dealer who had dealt with this case has all of sudden left the...

Ex-employee started business with employer’s clients

My employee started his own business without my consent and he converted my business to his firm. He used all my clients data and relations he built up as my employee for his personal benefit. While he is doing so, he enjoys all benefits like salary allowance. Can I...

Tenant has not been paying rent – Eviction of tenant

My tenant has not been paying rent since November 2019. I am a 68 year old person from Visakhapatnam. I gave my shop on rent to a person for tailoring. He paid the rent for the last time in Aug 2019 through phonepe. From Nov 2019 he stopped paying current bills also....

Tenant owns a house in the same city: Eviction of tenant

Question: Our father had purchased three houses together in a colony, more than 50 years ago. Two on the ground floor, in which we were already living there on rent. And One house is on top of these two houses. A tenant family was on rent, the time we purchased it....

Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor

Question:  There is an Illegal use of my boundary wall by my neighbor. My father built the 6 ft high 5" thick 60 ft long boundary wall before construction of our 2 storied building within my premises in the year 1990-91 when there was a narrow drain and one 3" thick...

Limitation period for cancellation of probate

Question: I want to file a case for the cancellation of probate. The district court has granted the letter of administration in the course of probate proceedings. The executor of the will did not make me a party in the probate proceeding. Therefore, I could not have...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.