Paid Advise

Construction delay of Affordable Housing Project “The Millennia” Sector 37 D, Gurgaon

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

The Project “The Millenia” sector 37 D, Gurgaon is promoted by M/s. Signature Global Pvt. Ltd. In Sept. 2017 with the completion date of August 2021. The payment plan is time linked i.e. full payment is to be made by September 2020. We have paid 75% till date and not again a demand for 12.5% payment is due on 27th April 2020, whereas the builder has just made 25-30% construction only. We are not willing to make any more payment to builder till he achieves a construction milestone of 75%. Builder is threatening us with 15% interest and cancellation of flat if demand is not made. How can we postpone the payment of demand? How can we postpone the payment of demand until the builder achieve the construction milestone of 75%?

Question from: Haryana

You should send him a notice for delayed construction work. When the builder completed only 25 to 30% of construction work it seems that the project is far behind the schedule mentioned in the brochure. This is an agreement and the builder is bound to perform his promise which has mentioned in the agreement. When the builder does not perform his part he cannot compel the purchase to make the full payment otherwise he will levy 15% interest thereupon. He has to complete the construction as per schedule to provide the flats within time. It seems from the current progress of the work that he would not deliver the flats on time. 

You can claim the refund of the entire investment

In this situation, you can claim a refund under Section 18 of the RERA Act. In the said notice, you should mention that your construction work is not going as per the schedule so I could not pay the remaining amount as per the payment schedule given in the brochure.  If he persists to make payment despite the delay in his project then you should file a case before the RERA authority under section 18 for the return of entire investment with interest.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Possession without occupancy certificate

Occupancy certificate or completion certificate is an important document because it proves that the flat is fit for occupancy or living. It also proves that the builder has constructed the builder as per the permission granted by the competent authority. If a flat buyer takes possession in absence of occupancy certificate it may cause harm to his property rights.

Builder giving possession in another apartment

Builder cannot give possession in another apartment because it is a breach of agreement to sell. When the builder has signed an agreement to construct a particular flat for the buyer, later on he cannot unanimously decide to give possession in another apartment. The buyer has to decide whether he wants possession or claim refund of money from the builder.

Society has embezzled corpus fund

Corpus fund is constituted by the small contribution of the flat owners. This fund is necessary for maintenance of the property. The society’s bye laws explicitly makes provisions for expenses out of the corpus fund of society. If the former officer bearer of society has embezzled the corpus fund they have committed an offence.

Builder causing a delay in giving possession

I booked a 1 BHK property in Navi Mumbai Taloja in 2013, all formalities were completed and I paid 20% and EMI started from May 2013. Now the builder causing a delay in giving flat. However, we haven’t received the possession and the construction work went on hold in...

Builder is not returning my booking amount

Hello sir, I have booked a flat in Lucknow, the builder said that the time of booking that the project will accomplish in the year 2017. After taking faith upon him, I paid one lakh rupees as booking amount in the year 2015. When I visited the site in the year July...

Claim refund of money against the builder under RERA

Section 18 of the Real Estate (Regulation And Development) Act, 2016 (RERA) entitles the flat buyer to claim a refund of money and compensation for any loss from the builder. If the builder did not complete the project within time he shall be liable to refund the money with interest.

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.