Paid Advise

Does it Child marriage? 20 years boy married with 32 years girl

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

33507 Advices

41371 Consultations

Reading Time:

Whether I committed a child marriage? I am 20 years old and married with my class teacher who is 32 years old. The father of my wife has lodged an FIR under section 156(3) and the magistrate has directed to initiate prosecution under section 9 of the PCM Act.

According to the facts of your case, you are minor whereas your wife is a major. Section 2(a) of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 (PCM Act) a male person below the age of 21 years is minor under the PCM Act.

Child marriage

According to section 2(b) of the said Act, child marriage is a marriage where either of the contracting party is minor. A boy below the age of 21 years and a girl below the age of 18 years are called minor. According to the Indian Majority Act, a person aged 18 years considers as a major but it does not apply in the PCM Act. 

Child marriage is an offence

Section 9 of the PCM Act confers the child marriage a punishable offence. When a male adult solemnises marriage with a minor girl he commits the offence under section 9. He will be punished with rigorous imprisonment with up to 2 years and fine up to 1 lakh rupees.

Who will be punished for child marriage

As per section 9, the only male adult will be punished for contracting child marriage. When a girl is above 18 years and she marries with a boy below 21 years, she commits no offence. Only you will be subject to punishment under PCM Act. 

Whether you have committed the offence?

No, you have committed no offence. If the male is minor i.e. below the age of 21 years, he commits no offence under section 9. If a boy is major and the girl is minor then the boy will be punished. 

In your case, you are a minor whereas your wife is major. Hence, you have committed no offence. 

Hardev Singh vs Harpreet Kaur C.A. No 1331 of 2013

In the above case, the Supreme Court has held that minor husband commits no offence under section 9 if his wife is above the 18 years.


Annulment of marriage

If you do not want to live with your wife, then you can file a petition under section 3 of the PCM Act. A child can annul its marriage under section 3 but it is not mandatory. If you are living a happy married life you should go with it because your marriage is valid. 

Quashing the criminal proceeding

You should file a petition before the High Court for quashing of FIR. Move a petition under Article 226 of Constitution of India for quashing of the ongoing investigation.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Threatening woman on revealing the truth to family 

Question: A man is threatening a woman on revealing the truth to her family. I'm a husband. I'm writing this for my wife. She had an affair with a person and she also helped him with money in his difficult time without informing me. Few days back she apologised...

In 498A, will my family get arrested?

Question: In 498A, will my family get arrested? My wife has filed a false case against my family. She wanted to marry her friend but due to pressure from her father she married me. There is no fault from my side but due to the whim of my wife my family is facing...

Can I file a complaint against the family court?

Question: Can I file a complaint against the family court? Asked from: Kerala You can file a complaint against the sitting subordinate court judge for his misconduct or dishonest conduct in dealing lawsuits. But you must have credible and clinching evidence to prove...

Section 383 Indian Penal Code: Extortion

Section 383: Extortion Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security or anything signed or sealed which...

Marriage in young age valid or invalid

Question: Marriage in young age valid or invalid. My question is that if a family has married their children at a young age, then their marriage will be valid? If the children have grown up later then it's gonna be valid later? Or else it won't be valid because the...

My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend 

Question: My sister was in a relationship for 7 yrs and after that she decided to part ways with boyfriend due to some issues. My sister is being mental harassed by her ex-boyfriend. She was informed this in 2020 and after that asked him not to contact him. He visited...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.