Paid Advise

Can the government equate the two posts?

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Civil Law | Service & Labour

Reading Time:

Question: I’m working as an inspector in the food department. My post is inferior to the post of inspector in the supply department. Can the state government equate the two posts because there is a discrepancy between the salary and status. After ten years of service the one post becomes gazetted and the other remains the non-gazetted. We are facing humiliation due to change of status after ten years of service. So we have decided to get the same status and salary from the government. We will compel the government to give the same status to our post. 

Our leaders will talk to the government on this issue and try to get equal status. I want to know if there is any legal hurdle to make both posts equivalent and do justice with the government employee. Please give some concrete materials to support our attempt to get equal status. 

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

The state government has the power to equate two similar posts. This power is exclusively vested in the state government. It is an exclusive administrative power of the state government. You should approach the government with the relevant facts and enable the government to do justice. 

Submit a representation

If the recruitment procedure and educational qualifications for both posts are similar then there is a good chance to get equal status. Thus you should prepare a representation and submit it to the principal secretary of the concerned department. You can also send the representation to the chief secretary of the state government. Mention these facts in the representation:

  • Recruitment procedure is identical
  • Similarities in duties and responsibility of officers holding both posts
  • Cadres are same i.e. single post cadre with same salary at the time of initial joining
  • There is a common rule for both posts

Above materials are necessary to strengthen your demand and to empower the state government to take quick decisions. Your matter comes under the ambit or purview of administrative jurisdiction of the state government.. 

In P. U. Joshi vs A. G. Ahmedabad (2003) 2SCC 632, the supreme court has held that it is ultimately the government to take an appropriate decision on the equivalent of posts.

Thus you should approach the state government as soon as possible. You should annex the relevant facts and grounds to show discrepancies in both posts. Thereafter, the government can equate the two posts. Without showing the impediments in the holding of posts you cannot get any relief from the government.  


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?

Question: Can a patient of mental illness who is on regular medication become a member and chairman of child welfare, women welfare, juvenile justice board and handle such sensitive matters? Can mental illness put a bar on holding sensitive posts?  Asked from:...

Encroachment of the public paved road

Question: There is an encroachment of the public paved road. Can anyone occupy a 60-year-old paved public road by saying that this has been made wrong? What is the legality of the road in Indian law?  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Public road is a public property...

How to get back money from my younger brother?

Question: How to get back money from my younger brother?. Younger brother demanded money from the older brother and gave some amount to him without any  paperwork. If the younger brother ignores or does not return the money, what action will the older brother take ?...

Section 38 of Specific Relief Act 1963

Section 38 Specific Relief Act Perpetual injunctions when granted (1) Subject to the other provisions contained in or referred to by this Chapter a perpetual injunction may be granted to the plaintiff to prevent the breach of an obligation existing in his favour,...

No EPF contribution by startup

Question: No EPF contribution by startup. I switched job in 2018 from a MNC to a startup with 20+ employees. The startup is not contributing to the EPF. At the time of joining they said I could opt out (basic salary 15k+) of it and I agreed and completed the...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.