Paid Advise

Can RERA complete the pending project in the interest of allottees?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Builder absconding with booking money of allottees. Can rera complete the pending project in the interest of allottees? Builder has not started work in 7 years after initial mobilisation. Can landowner and few allottees jointly complete the project as builder absconding with booking money of allottees.

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

You should form an association of allottees and approach the RERA authority. Section 8 of the RERA Act empowers the authority to take over the pending project. 

The authority can approach and consult the government for construction of pending work and complete the project. But you have to file a complaint with the RERA authority. The time period fixed for the completion of the housing project must be expired on the date of filing of complaint.

As you said, the builder has absconded and is not traceable. In this situation no one will come forward to receive the notice. Hence, the proceeding before the RERA authority will proceed in the absence of the builder. 

In this situation the RERA may take over this project and approach the government to complete the project or permit the association of allottees to carry on the stalled project. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.