Can my father get retirement benefits after 14 years of service?

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Service & Labour

Reading Time:

Advised on 21 Mar, 2023

Question: My father, left his job after 14 years of service, without any benefit. He did not receive any benefit during his service in the PAC police department for 14 years.

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

In Uttar Pradesh, as per the Uttar Pradesh Retirement Benefit Rules, 1961, a government employee is eligible for retirement benefits such as pension, gratuity, and provident fund after completing a minimum of 10 years of qualifying service. 

However, if the employee dies before completing 10 years of service, his/her family is eligible for some benefits. It’s important to note that the retirement benefits may vary based on the type of government employee and their service rules.

In the current scenario, you have to file a writ petition in the High Court of Allahabad to direct the concerned authority to provide your father with all the retirement benefits under the provisions of U.P. Retirement Benefit Rules, 1961. 

You should first send a representation to the concerned authority requesting them to provide the benefits. If you do not receive any response, you may file a writ petition.