Legal Advice

Can I take power of attorney from my son to sell my land


We had  purchased a plot at Bhiwadi (Rajasthan) in the joint name of my wife and son. As some disputes  have developed between us we want to purchase the share of my son. In that case is it possible to ask him to give us power of attorney to sell the property by paying him money for his  share or if it is not possible what are other legal  options with least expenditure.


There may be two conditions about the purchase of this property. First, that it is your self acquired property and second that your son has contributed in purchase of property out of his own income. In the latter condition your son is a co-owner of this property. 

When it is your self acquired property

If you have purchased this property out of your income then you are the absolute owner of this property. When your son had no source of income at the time of purchasing this property then he cannot claim his ownership. A person can purchase property in the name of his family members and it is a legal act. 

The nature of self acquired property does not change merely on the joint name of the purchasers in a sale deed. If you have purchased this property however, it is registered in the name of your son, your son cannot claim it as his self acquired property. If your son had no separate funds or that the property was not purchased with money belonging to him, in both conditions the presumption is clear and decisive that it is  your self acquired property. 

In the present case both the Courts below have found that there was no evidence that Rup Charan had any separate funds or that the properties in dispute were purchased with money belonging to him. In the absence of such evidence the presumption is clear and decisive that they were acquired by the father in the name of the son, and that they were not the self-acquired properties of Rup Charan.

Parbati Dasi vs Raja Baikuntha Nath De

In this scenario you should file a declaratory suit under section 34 of the Specific Relief Act and get a declaration decree from the court that it is your self acquired property. After getting the decree in your favour you can sell to any person without permission of your son. 

When your son has contributed in purchase of property 

In This situation you can either file a partition suit or get a power of attorney from your son. If there are disputes between you and your son then the chances are very bleak that he will execute a power of attorney. So you should file a partition suit and get division of this property.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Builder not providing parking spot as per the approved plan

Of the total parking slots allotted, two flats, 1503 and (705-6) are allotted spots on ‘humanitarian grounds.’ These two homes pay INR 2500+ per month for parking. Nominal parking rates in the building are Rs 200 per month. These houses with nominal parking rates have bought/included a parking spot as part of their main agreement itself. Currently no parking in the building is under stilt or in the garage. All cars are parked in the open and have no assigned/designated spots. In 2017, a SGM resolution was passed to take parking charges from flat 1503 (mine) as part of monthly maintenance. However, since Jan 2023, I have been asked to pay these charges in advance. Parking charges have been paid up to September 2023 in two instalments. Both the above instalments have been paid under ‘delayed circumstance’ due to the ongoing discussions to add, A total of 45 parking spots have been approved by BMC K-Ward and 1 each has been made available to tenants/members in houses with carpet area above 70 M.sq. One of the two houses is mine, aka 1503. (can share the exhibit if needed) My question therefore is:
1. Can the builder and later the society make allocations against the BMC’s approved list? 2. If yes, can I as owner and member of flat 1503 – question the MC/society and get my parking spot back? 3. Can the MC charge different rates for parking spots, those given via agreement and to those on ‘humanitarian grounds’? How do I fight this and what precedences and legal recourse do I have? Details: I am the house owner. The house is in Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra The building has two banks – which have been allocated 10 instead of 7 spots as per BMC approved list (can share if needed).

Labours are frequently entering our premises without permission

My neighbor’s plot is under construction, and the contractor and labours are frequently entering our premises without permission. They have also failed to clean up the construction materials and waste from our property. When I asked them to address this issue, the owner of the property used abusive language towards me and my family. Do you have any advice on how to handle this situation?

Can I seek quashing of FIR on expiry of limitation period?

FIR was charged against me on 02/05/2019. I was called to the police station on 02/12/2019 and was released on station bail. They have charged IPC 354 D (stalking through email). But after which no response was there. Recently I got a govt job and when applied for a police clearance certificate I came to know the FIR is pending. The police have not filed charge sheet till date to my knowledge. Can I quash the FIR based on expiry of limitation period.

My boyfriend raped me in the influence of narcotics drugs

Boyfriend had raped me after I said no to sex. I live in xxxxx, I was visiting my boyfriend and stayed at his flat at that time in xxx. We have been in a relationship of 1 year.  We’ve had a physical relationship where we had consensual sex whenever we met. He had been under the influence of Marijuana (and I don’t know what else) when he didn’t respect my no and raped me last week. This has happened once before with him (also when he was on the same drugs, some months ago) but he promised that it won’t happen again. He is a drug addict and takes it 2-3 times a week, at least for the last 5 years. What charges can I press on him?

What actions should you take against an attempt to murder?

My neighbour has attempted to murder in a land dispute. He along with others came to my house with firearms and started shouting, abusing and hitting my gate. When I came out to stop them from doing such a violence, they broke out and beat me with a club and sharp edge gandasa. I suffered some minor injuries on my arm, back and thigh. One injury on my head is severe. That is life threatening so I want to take proper legal action against them. Please suggest what actions I should take against them for an attempt to murder?

India: The Emerging Hub of Cyberstalking

Introduction: The digital age, while bringing numerous benefits, has also opened the doors to new forms of crime. With its massive internet user base, India is grappling with the dark side of the digital revolution: cyberstalking. While the country prides itself on...