Instant Advise

Can I take legal action against my girlfriend for defamation

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

I would like to file a case on my girlfriend for mental harassment as from last 9 year we know each other, my family and all relatives know everything even my neighborhood too. Everything was fine but she always tries to hide her game plan. Actually she wanted to marry when I got a government job. Unfortunately I could not get a job. She is also studying and trying for a job at that time. But after getting her job she denied everything.

Can I file a case as my reputation in my family and society is on verge. I am also a handicap person and feeling great depression right now.

Question from: Bihar

You cannot take any action against her. She has the exclusive right to marry and you cannot compel her. It does not matter that you both are well known and have had family relations. Tarnishing reputation is an actionable claim. If it comes under the purview of Section 499 of the Indian Penal Code, then you can initiate a criminal action. 

In this situation she did not cause any act which is defamatory. Hence, you cannot take any legal recourse against her. It would be better for you to forget all those things. Don’t indulge yourself in any false legal cases. You are a handicapped person so you should look for a job. Don’t give up your aim of looking for a government job. 

Currently you have no sufficient ground to initiate any legal action against her. She has neither committed any offence or any civil wrong. Refusing to marry is not a breach of contract. If she had shown her desire to marry you but later on her refusal does not enable you to claim breach of agreement. Consolidate your energy and put it in the right direction to be an independent person.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Husband don’t want to live with his wife.

It's my arranged marriage. I want to live with my husband, he is working in another state and me staying with his parents. His parents and my husband don't want me to stay with him. Now they tortured me to leave that place so that they will marry their son. What...

Owner does not returning money in agreement of sale

My father purchased 2 and a half acres of agricultural land in our village and had an unregistered agreement of sale from the seller last year in the month of Feb 2020 and upon Contract, we have given them 10.5L Rupees as an advance amount. The sellers are 7 brothers...

My boyfriend harassing me

Me and my boyfriend are in relationship from 3 years. He always doubts me and every day he will come up with plan to harass me. Threats me and compel me for having relationship with other boys. He gives me warning that he will call to my office members and family. My...

Can I request for disciplinary proceeding against PDO?

I have filed complaint on one Govt employee who is a retired PDO in department of Zila Panchayat, on him FIR lodged in concerned police station. Now can I request for disciplinary proceeding against him? Is it possible or not and to whom should I request  to the same?...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.