Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Shivendra Pratap Singh


25/04/2022/ 11:00:25 AM

Reading Time:

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident? I want to take stern action against him. He is a womaniser and exploiting women sexually and emotionally. 

Asked from: Karnataka

There is no limitation period if offence is punishable with imprisonment of three or more years. Rape is punishable with regorous imprisonment with not less than ten years. Hence, delay in lodging FIR does not matter in respect ot rape cases. 

Therefore, you can lodge a first information report (FIR) against him under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code. But you have to prove that he has committed rape. If you fail to prove sexual intercourse without your consent then the court will acquit him.

After ten years of incident no physical marks will be found on your body. You are a married woman, hence, your hymen has already ruptured. Therefore, the investigating officer will not get any kind of forensic evidence from your body. 

Thus, your case is entirely based upon circumstantial evidence. However, oral statement of prosecutrix is sufficient in rape case to lodge FIR. But the burden of proof lies upon the prosecutrix. 

If you have any evidence to prove that he had committed rape then you should proceed further. Otherwise you should drop your idea to lodge FIR after ten years of incident. 

If he commits a fresh offence like stalking then you should lodge an FIR against him. In that FIR you can club the offence of rape which had committed ten years back. Because you can prove his conduct and criminal intention.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of...

Conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act

Question: Please advise whether I have any remedy against the conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act. On 2nd April 2018 Mr. Takunichi was on his way to Changlang from Itanagar travelling in a white Scorpio bearing registration No. XXXX. His friend Mr. Dikunima...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.