Home | Legal Advice | Family Law Advice | Can I live in relationship with a married person?

Can I live in relationship with a married person?

Question: Can I live in a relationship with a married person who does not live with his wife? I love him a lot. Actually, we were wet on a dating website. I want to know whether our relationship will be valid? Can I enforce those rights available to married women? 

He has a son and very occasionally he meets his wife and child. We are in love and therefore, we are planning to live-in-relationship. Is there any legal problem? He doesn’t want marriage and influences me to come to his flat and be in a relationship.

Question from: Karnataka

Live-in-relationship is not illegal in India. You can live with him in a live-in-relationship. You both are adults and able to make decisions about your life. He is a married person therefore, he cannot solemnise a second marriage without divorce. But you can live together in a live-in-relationship. You have the right to choose your life partner.  

Live-in-relationship confers the status of husband-wife to the person living so if that relationship lasts for a significant period of time. Section 2(f) of The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (DV Act) recognises live-in-relationship as a nature of marriage. It protects the rights of women against any domestic violence committed in domestic relationship.  

Live-in-relationship or marriage-like relationship is neither a crime nor a sin though socially unacceptable in this country. The decision to marry or not to marry or to have a heterosexual relationship is intensely personal. Live-in-relationship not just for pleasure, but for emotional and intimate relationship, so as to give emotional support, companionship and also material affection, caring etc.

Indra Sarma vs. V. K. V. Sarma, (2013) 15 SCC 755

Article 15(3) and 39 of the Constitution of India also protect the rights of women who have decided to live with a person in a live-in-relationship. 

The children born out of such a relationship are considered as legitimate children and have a right to get share in self acquired and ancestral property of the father. You can also claim maintenance under Section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. Your partner cannot deny alimony on the grounds of absence of marriage. Living in a marriage -like relationship confers on women the same rights as a married woman.

Lawyer’s advice

Marriage against the consent of parents

If the bridegroom is 21 years and bride is 22 and they want to marry against the consent of their parents. What will be the cause for this? Can they marry? Question from: Andhra Pradesh Section 5 of the Hindu Marriage Act does not forbid a marriage if it has been...

Marriage when age of bridegroom is below 21 years

I want to solemnise marriage but age of bridegroom is below 21 years. We are in a relationship for past 4 years. And we decide to get married. But the girl's family doesn't allow her to do so. They First emotionally black mailed her. But she doesn't listen to them....

Maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage

Question: I want to know whether maintenance in case of divorce after one year of marriage is possible. I got married on 20 Nov 2019. Now we want to get separated by mutual consent. My wife is a B. Tech. & MBA but did not make any serious attempt to get a job. At...

My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary

Question: My mother-in-law is harassing me for getting my salary. She is a very cruel lady and very greedy. I am working as a bank manager in ICICI Bank and my husband is a software engineer. My husband is lower than my salary therefore my mother in law is demanding...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.