Home | Legal Advice | Maintenance Cases | Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is planning to marry her. 

Therefore, there was a lot of quarrel between us after the revelation of that relationship. Now I have left his house and am currently living with my parents. I want to claim maintenance from him.

Question from: Delhi

Your husband is, however, unemployed but he has the means to take care of his family. You have sufficient reason to live separate from him. He has a concubine and therefore, it was a reason for a quarrel between you. 

A legally wedded wife has the right to claim maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. You should file an application under Section 125 crpc for the maintenance. Your husband has sufficient means to maintain you, however, he is currently no source of income. 

Unemployed husband is also bound to maintain his wife

An unemployed husband is bound to maintain his wife because he is the guardian and has the responsibility to take care of her. Your husband cannot refuse maintenance due to unemployment. You have to prove that he has sufficient means and you are living in vegarancy or destitution.

WIfe is entitled for maintenance even if she is living separately

If a wife is living separately from her husband then she has to prove a ground for living separately. Husband having a concubine or mistress is a sufficient reason for the wife to live separately from her husband. Explanation of Subsection 3 of Section 125 crpc itself recognises it as a valid ground for living separate. 

If a husband has contracted marriage with another woman or keeps a mistress, it shall be considered to be just ground for his wife’ s refusal to live with him.

Section 125(3) crpc

You’ll get maintenance from her husband even though he is unemployed and you are living separately.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

Notice under section 128 crpc

I have received a notice under section 128 crpc. My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. The court has passed final order in that case to pay rupees seven thousand per month as a maintenance. This is too high maintenance...

लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रहने वाली महिला मित्र भी भरण-पोषण का दावा कर सकती है

मैं पिछले 10 वर्षों से अपने पुरुष मित्र के साथ लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रह रही हूं. मेरे एक 6 साल की बेटी भी है. विगत 3 महीनों से मेरा मित्र मुझे घर से निकालने का धमकी दे रहा है और उसने मुझसे सभी प्रकार के संपर्क समाप्त कर लिया है. कई बार मेरा उससे बहस होती है कि अब मैं...

Can educated wife claim maintenance under section 125 CRPC

मेरी पत्नी ने मेरे तथा मेरी मां के विरुद्ध घरेलू हिंसा का केस दर्ज किया था जो कि न्यायालय द्वारा 5 फरवरी 2020 को खारिज कर दिया गया है. इसके पश्चात मेरी पत्नी ने अपने मायके जाकर धारा 125 के अंतर्गत भरण पोषण का दावा किया है. मेरी पत्नी शैक्षणिक रूप से सक्षम है तो क्या...

Excessive maintenance under Section 125 crpc

Judicial Magistrate has awarded excessive maintenance under section 125 crpc. An Order on section 125 crpc is passed by Kalyani judicial magistrate court ordering a final maintenance amount of Rs.7000. The wife has left me on her own will and I have sent 3 letters...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.