Home | Legal Advice | Latest Advice Online | Can I get divorce because my husband always suspecting my character

Can I get divorce because my husband always suspecting my character

By Shivendra Pratap Singh

Question: Hello, I am from Malayali-family, formerly resided in Malad, Mumbai. I recently got married on 17th Feb 2020 and moved with a new partner. But, soon I got stuck with him under lockdown and my life has become like a caged-reptile bonded 24×7 to the new man, whom I hardly knew 6 months prior to marriage. As soon as I got married, 2020 year has been like a storm in my life.

My natural inclination driven by my high Estrogen is to be-friend, hang-out, flirt and go on dates with multiple boys, which I enjoy the most and want to continue. But, this new man delivered a package in the form of “husband” and doesn’t like me meeting or even talking to guys. He gets suspicious even when I am talking to my office male-colleagues working at CITI, my socialite club MAD (Make-a-difference) or ex-boyfriends. I am now reduced to his ‘house-maid’. I want to get out of this bonded labor life, I cannot just stand him and want my thrilling scandalous sexy life back.

Whether the above legal-reasoning and opinions will enable me to initiate divorce? What will be the formalities and process, and charges for initiating divorce? 

Question from: Maharashtra

It appears from your question that you have no faith in a marital relationship. You have been enjoying your sexual life with so many friends and still look the same. A husband does not expect such behavior from his wife. Therefore, he has the reasonable ground for suspecting your conduct. 

Divorce from husband

You cannot file divorce case on the grounds that your husband is suspecting your character. However, pre marital affairs will not cause any harm to your marital life. You did not commit any extra marital affair after marriage. But if you want divorce you must have legal grounds. Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act provides some grounds for divorce. 

Some of the grounds are based on the guilt of the spouse. Hence, you must prove the guilt of your husband if you want divorce. Cruelty, desertion, impotency are some grounds upon which you can seek divorce. You should try to understand your husband, show respect and perform your matrimonial obligation.

Lawyer’s advice

Division of self acquired and ancestral property

What is the procedure for division of self acquired and ancestral property among siblings? My father died two years ago. He purchased ten acres of agricultural land out of his own income and he had ten acres of ancestral land. We are two brothers and one sister. My...

Contempt: non compliance of ombudsman’s order

Question: I had filed the case in ombudsman against LIC of India in which award was passed(on 28.08.2019) in my favor but LIC did not follow that and told me that they are going in high court against it but it's been more than 11 months since any action has taken from...

My sister in law hates my love affair

Question: My sister in law hates my love affair because she doesn't like me. She is creating hurdles in my marriage.  Her brother wants to marry me because we love each other. This is a love marriage. Parents of my sister in law have died. She is taking care of her...

Can father gift ancestral property to daughter in law

Question: My father wants to gift ancestral property to his daughter in law. We have two brothers only and my younger brother is living abroad. My younger brother does not want to settle in India and probably he will renounce Indian citizenship. Can my father gift...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.