Can I get call details from the BSNL under RTI Act

by | Dec 17, 2019

Can I get call details under RTI Act? I want to get call details and tower location of my BSNL mobile number to know when was my mobile misused & who was involved? 

Advised by: Shivendra Pratap Singh

The Right to Information Act applies for access of public information. Call detail of your mobile number is not a piece of public information. Therefore, RTI will not apply in your case. 

If you want to get call details, you should directly contact your mobile operator. Not necessary to file RTI application for getting that information.

BSNL is a government Corporation, so you think that you can get your call detail through the RTI. This analogy is wrong because the Right to Information Act applies only to the public information but not to the information kept by the public body.

If public information is holding by the private body like a private company, then you can ask that information through the RTI application. The whole concept and purpose of The Right to Information Act are to provide Public Information to Indian citizen for the more significant public interest. 

No public interest will serve in disclosure of the information about the own mobile number consequently you cannot seek that information by the RTI.

It would be right for you to contact the concerned authority of the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited and take that information from him.

For getting any public information through the RTI, you can see the RTI portal of the Government of India.

High air pollution takes more Indian lives in past 3 years

High air pollution in India   High Air Pollution : Over half of India’s population – 660 million people – live in areas where fine particulate matter pollution is above India’s standards for what is considered safe, said the study by economists from the University of...

How can I file PIL on environmental issues

What is the procedure to file PIL? What kind of expenditure is expected in a PIL against central government for environmental related issues? Any citizen of India can file Public interest litigation either before The supreme court of High court. There is same...

Compensation under M V Act after death of son

My son is died on 12 April 2015. Me, my wife and one daughter are dependent. My son was self employed but unmarried. He was 29 years old at the time of death. I have filed petition under section 166 M V Act for compensation and claim about 98 lakh. He declared 30 k...

Disclosure of information under RTI

Can information under RTI ACT be taken regarding the degrees ,name of the university where one  had been reading ,Roll no. of the university,  photocopies of the Degrees , photocopies of Service Book &ACRs of Government employees, through their public information...

Land acquired by collector

I am resident of a district dominated by tribals in Maharashtra. My grand father purchased a land from tribal member on consideration in year 1963. We have been on possession of the land till year 1982 but collector of our district sent a notice for acquisition of...

Ques & Ans 

Stay Connected with Lawyer

You can ask your question from our expert panel and they will reply to your question as early as possible

Ask your question

10 + 8 =

On the Go

Call our Lawyers 

You can get instant advice over the phone, just pay the consultation fee and get advice from our lawyer on the phone. 

The easy and swift method for contacting a lawyer whenever you need.