Paid Advise

Can I claim compensation if engagement is broken for inappropriate reasons?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My cousin had an engagement. Can I claim compensation if engagement is broken for inappropriate reasons? Her fiance started talking on the phone. But due to her pursuing a degree course (of my cousin), she was not able to speak longer and every day. They are breaking the engagement. But we have asked them to compensate for our losses in doing engagement (1 lak). They don’t want to give any amount for engagement breakage. Under muslim law provisions what is the advice on this?

Asked from: Maharashtra

You should file a civil suit for the recovery of losses you have incurred in the ring ceremony. When the contract has been breached the responsible party has to compensate the other to the extent of loss he suffered due to breach of agreement. 

This is pure civil wrong thus you can move a civil suit irrespective of the religion. Engagement is an agreement of marriage therefore, it has a legal validity and upon breach of the engagement you can claim damages.

The fiance’s family is responsible for the breach of agreement hence, he shall compensate you. You have to produce the list of expenses along with the plaint. You are entitled to claim compensation if engagement is broken for inappropriate reasons.

In this situation you can also seek compensation for the mental agony, social humiliation, loss of reputation etc. No need to send a legal notice to them before filing the civil suit. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.