Paid Advise

Can I claim anything on the basis of unregistered sale agreement?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Unregistered agreement of Rs 60.00 lakhs on 11/01/2022 owner sale the property. Owner has signed an agreement and promised to sell the land to me. That agreement is unregistered but written on stamp paper of rupees sixty. Can I claim anything on the basis of unregistered sale agreement? Can we file the civil suit and what is the remedy?

Asked from: Madhya Pradesh

You cannot enforce this unregistered agreement. Because this document is not conferring any right in your favour. Therefore, you cannot stop the owner from selling this land to another person. 

The court will not admit this unregistered agreement for granting injunction because this document has no legal value in respect of your right or title in the property. 

But it has a legal value for collateral purposes. The owner cannot deny that he signed this unregistered agreement. The court can admit this document to prove that: 

  • Parties were casually agreed to transfer this land.
  • The parties agreed to perform some acts on certain terms and conditions.
  • Owner has received earnest money (if mentioned in the agreement).

Therefore, you can file a civil suit for recovery of money if you have paid in the pursuance of that agreement. In Fide Ali v. Zaffar Hussain AIR 2021 MP 8 the Madhya Pradesh High Court has held that:

Suit for recovery of money advanced under sale agreement….that suit is not for specific performance of contract or for declaration of title, That agreement can be considered in evidence for collateral purpose. Sale agreement to that extent is admissible in evidence. 

Hence, you can file a civil suit if you have paid earnest money to the owner of the land. You cannot claim any right in the property on the basis of unregistered agreement. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?

Question: Whether Tehsildar is competent authority to issue succession certificate to collect life insurance policy. My father's insurance policy claim is matured and we are the legal heirs to collect that amount. Can the tehsildar issue a succession certificate?...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.