Paid Advise

Can I claim a share in my father’s property on the basis of unregistered Will?

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My father is not alive. He had some agricultural lands. He was writing a vasiyat but the vasiyat is not registered due to lack of knowledge. My brother has transferred all agricultural lands in his name. I want to challenge that transfer but I have only unregistered Will. Can I claim a share in my father’s property on the basis of unregistered Will?

Asked from: Haryana

There is no difference between registered and unregistered Will towards its legal validity. If the prevailing circumstances are supporting the creation of Will then you should apply for its probate or letter of administration. 

When you successfully prove in the court that the said Will is genuine then you become entitled to claim a share in your father’s property as per the Will however, the Will is unregistered. 

You should also file a civil suit for the cancellation of transfer (mutation) of agricultural lands which your brother got in his name. If there is a Will at the death of the owner (testator) the property will be settled according to that Will. 

However, your brother has wrongly mutated all agricultural lands in his favour. If the property may devolve through the rule of inheritance he has no right to get all properties in his name because there are more legal heirs than one. 

In this situation all the legal heirs will get equal share. Hence, you should follow the above said procedure to get your right in the agricultural lands of your father. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Builder address not available for RERA filing 

Question: Can we file a case against the builder if his address is not available for RERA filing? Builder address given during registration not active. How to file a complaint to RERA if the builder address is not found to send a summon. He has left that office but...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.