Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Can I challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution?

Can I challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution?

Estimated Reading Time:

Question: I want to challenge the validity of sanction for prosecution. The CBI obtained the sanction for prosecution by force and using undue means. My superior officer was working under pressure of the CBI and granted the sanction prosecution. Now I have retired and my case is still pending in the special CBI court. Can I challenge the validity of the sanction at this stage? This is very crucial for my case because this sanction is invalid and illegal.

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

Section 19 of the Prevention of Corruption Act (PC Acct) specifically prohibits cognisance without sanction. The sanction must be legal and issued in following due procedure. Validity of sanction is the most vital part of prosecution under the PC Act. 

If there is any defect in sanction the court will discharge the accused at the trial. Why does the court discharge the accused instead of acquit? When the sanction is defective it renders the cognisance invalid consequently, the entire trial becomes void. 

Thus in absence of a valid cognisance the court discharges the accused. The court cannot convict the accused on invalid sanction.

Can I challenge the validity of sanction at the stage of trial?

Yes, you can challenge the validity of sanction at any stage of proceeding. In Nanjappa Vs. State of Karnataka (2015) 14 SCC 186 the Supreme Court has held that the question regarding validity of sanction can be raised at any stage of the proceeding.

Sanction is a statutory protection of a public servant. It protects the public servant from a malicious prosecution under the PC Act.

Also read: Prosecution sanction is not necessary for retired public servant 

In N.K. Ganguly vs. CBI, New Delhi (2016) 2 SCC 143 the Supreme Court has opined that sanction under Section 19 of Prevention of Corruption Act is necessary to see that a public servant is not entangled in a frivolous and false case. 

You should file a discharge application

It is the duty of the court to examine the validity of sanction for prosecution. If the court takes cognisance on defective sanction the whole proceeding becomes void. Therefore, the accused accrues a right to be discharged. 

In Nanjappa Vs. State of Karnataka (2015) 14 SCC 186 the Supreme Court has held that where the sanction order is found to be invalid, the Trial Court can even discharge the accused.

You should move a discharge application as soon as possible. Discharge application is maintainable at any stage of proceeding. 

Latest Advice

My neighbour stares at me and my sister: What should I do?

My neighbours built the house recently. His balcony covers half of the road and standing on the balcony he stares at me and my sister. Most of the time we stay inside home, if we go out to buy vegetables, he comes and keeps on staring. He throws cigarette pieces at my home. Difficult to live in my own house.
How to deal with this issue? Old granny at home and I don’t have anyone to support. Since I’m a girl I should not raise my voice.

I want divorce because my wife is a characterless lady

My wife has illegal relations which I did not know at the time of marriage. She is a characterless lady so I want divorce. I got married in 2008, and my marriage life is still very good till Dec 2019. In Dec 2019 I found that my wife has been characterless for so many...

Boyfriend is playing victim card and blackmailing me

Boyfriend is playing the victim card and blackmailing me to shut my mouth and stop claiming marriage. My boyfriend promised me he will marry I said no cuz I have no control over my anger bt he said he will manage then he ask for physical just cuz he will marry I said...

Embezzlement of paid electricity bills

Complaints regarding embezzlement of paid electricity bills were made by consumers in the division office of the electricity board against lower class employees. Statements of consumers were recorded in the division office. After that an FIR was lodged against the...

Contradiction in dying declaration : chances of conviction

Question: My brother is accused in a murder case. He is innocent but the police have falsely implicated him in this case. The dying declaration of the deceased does not support his role in the murder of Ramnaresh Kushwaha. There is a contradiction in the dying...

Kanoonirai established in 2014. It provides a facility to consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.