Paid Advise

Can I cancel the marriage after engagement

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Family Law

Reading Time:

Question: I want to cancel the marriage after the engagement. I met a girl on 14.01.2022 & had an engagement (roka) on 19.01.2022. I met her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.2022. After that she went to another city (Mumbai) & joined her office. After that she used to talk very less. Several times we had issues & one day after a mild heat of argument from both sides she blocked me. After that I politely said we don’t have understanding & compatibility and it is better to call off this wedding. I also said the same to her parents too and whatever token money they have given for the marriage venue shall be paid from my side. 

But, her family and she kept on threatening me. Some time they say they will charge my family for asking for dowry & mentally harassing her daughter if we call off this wedding. I never had any physical relationship with the girl. I just spent time with her from 15.01.2022 to 22.01.22, hugs & forehead kisses. Kindly tell me what are the legal actions that may be taken against me? I feel that instead of marrying, we should call off this wedding so as to avoid future complications.

Asked from: Delhi

You can cancel the marriage after engagement on the incompatibility issue. Engagement is an agreement between the bride and bridegroom. Any party can cancel this agreement on a valid ground. The aggrieved party is entitled to claim compensation and recovery of expenses incurred in the engagement ceremony. Thus you should be ready to pay the expenses and return all the gifts which you have received from him. 

If demand of dowry is the reason for the cancellation of marriage engagement then the guilty party is liable under the provisions of Dowry Prohibition Act. If the bride’s family files a false case for demand of dowry then you should approach the High Court for the quashing of such a false case of dowry. You have to prove that you never demanded dowry for the marriage.

There was no physical relationship between you and your fiance then she cannot file a criminal case for sexual harassment. Hugging and kissing on the free consent of the fiance constitute no offence. She is major in age therefore, can give valid consent. Consensual relationships exonerate the person from criminal cases. Hence, you have a line of protection against false case of sexual harassment supposed to be filed on the cancellation of marriage after engagement.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? 

Question: What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? My girlfriend is engaged with another person without informing me, now I want to marry her, but she moved on. What I can do in this situation shall I approach the groom to convince.  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh...

Will my husband get baby boy custody?

Question: I got married on 3rd march 2020. I have a one year old baby boy. My husband is an alcoholic smoker, drug abuser, ganja addict. He is always there in fights, he even has a sword and gun, he beats me and even has extramarital affairs. Now I have left his house...

My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair

Question: My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair. He sent a message to my husband that I have an affair but later he realised and asked sorry, but husband using that message in court to prove I have affair what to do? Asked from: Karnataka I think...

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Child Custody to a third party 

Question: My partner wishes that I could take legal custody over her. She is happy with her family but wants to leave. I live in the UK, and she lives in India. What (if any) are our options? Can the court allow child custody to a third party?  Asked from: Uttar...

Girl’s family is threatening for love jihad case

Question: My friend is muslim he loves hindu girl. Girl’s family is threatening for love jihad case so he want to convert to hindu religion. He loves that girl and agreed to change his religion. Now he is afraid that the girl’s family may file a case against him and...

How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent?

Question: Hello, I have been married for 6 yrs. And my in-laws have been demanding for more dowry. How can I leave my husband’s home without his consent? The gold gifted during my marriage is in my father in laws custody. Well I did not encourage more dowry and hence...

My boyfriend refuses to marry after 11 years of relationship

Question: After 11 years of relationship my boyfriend refuses to marry. My boyfriend and I have been in a love relationship for 11 years. I even fought for him with my parents for him. I'm with him in all his ups and downs. He made me believe about our marriage, kids...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.