Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Can court pass sentence on the sole testimony of child witness

Can court pass sentence on the sole testimony of child witness

Shivendra Pratap Singh


14/03/2020/ 10:53:57 PM

Reading Time:

My friend created a child witness for giving a false statement against me. In February 2018 our workers had indulged in fighting in the course of which one worker died. My friend lodged an FIR against a few other workers and me for the offence of murder.

He influenced the child of the deceased worker to become an eyewitness of the incident. The statement of the child witness does not get corroboration from other independent evidence, but the court has relied upon him. Can the court pronounce sentence only based on the testimony of child witness?

A child is a competent witness under section 118 of the Indian Evidence Act. His competency depends upon his ability to understand the question and giving rational answer thereof. The statement of a child witness must be accurate and reliable in the facts and circumstances of the case.

Corroboration of the child witness

However, corroboration enhances the reliability of the statement, but it is not a mandatory rule. It is the court to decide whether the testimony of a child witness seems reliable or not. When the facts of the case support the statement of the child witness, then the court will rely upon without any corroboration. 

The court can seek corroboration if the child witness gives a contradictory statement or seems to be a tortured witness. 

In your case, he has falsely produced as an eyewitness. The prosecution has to prove his presence at the place of occurrence. A child does not employ in the factory so the prosecution must establish the purpose of his being there. If he is a chance witness, then corroboration with some independent evidence is a must. 

Digamber Vaishnav and others vs State of Chattisgarh AIR 2019 SC 1367;

The Supreme Court has held that:

evidence of child witness and his credibility could depend upon the facts and circumstances of each case. There is no rule of practice that in every case, the evidence of a child witness has to be corroborated by other evidence. But as prudence, the court always finds it desirable to seek corroboration to such evidence from another reliable evidence placed on the record. 


The child witness must have the ability to understand the question and give a rational answer. The court can ask a few general questions to the child witness for testing such ability. If the court finds that he is a competent witness, then it proceeds to take his evidence. It is a rule of prudence for the court to satisfy itself that child witness is acceptable.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of...

Conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act

Question: Please advise whether I have any remedy against the conviction in violation of Section 50 NDPS Act. On 2nd April 2018 Mr. Takunichi was on his way to Changlang from Itanagar travelling in a white Scorpio bearing registration No. XXXX. His friend Mr. Dikunima...

My wife has filed false FIR

Question: My wife has filed false FIR under Section 498A/406 IPC. Section 3 & D P Act, against me and my old aged ill widow mother. I am the only child and my wife and her parents are hell-bent to take divorce. She wants to remarry. Hence they told me they will...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.