Paid Advise

Buyer demanding refund of money after taking possession of land

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: A sale deed has been signed by both the parties, but could not be registered as on the nick of the hour original property papers were found to be misplaced. Full payment has been made by the buyer. Buyer demanding refund of money after taking possession of land. And the unregistered sale deed and the possession is with the buyer. 

The seller has been undergoing the process of getting a duplicate copy of the papers by registering an FIR. Public Announcement in two Newspapers, and Undertaking to the Registrar Properties for the issue of Duplicate Papers for the registration of the aforesaid sale deed. But the buyer says to refund him the entire money till the process is completed. Buyer says return the money. What should the seller do in this case?

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

The buyer has taken possession and the seller is trying to get a duplicate sale deed. In absence of necessary papers the seller cannot transfer the land to the buyer. The seller has the intention to sell the property and handed over the possession to the buyer.

There is no fault on the part of the seller, hence, the buyer cannot demand a refund of money. He can either hand over the possession of the land to the buyer and lose the earnest money or remain in possession and wait for the execution of the sale deed. 

In your case the buyer is not interested to hand over the possession of land. He wants the refund of money and till then remains in the possession of land. In this situation you should file a civil suit for specific performance of contract. File a civil suit under Section 10 of the Specific Relief Act. 

The buyer will have no option except to buy this land. Because he has taken possession of the land in the course of performance of the sale agreement. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.