Legal Advice

Builder giving possession in another apartment


I have booked a flat in 2016. The builder has promised to deliver the flat in 2018. After five years his project is still in progress. Now the builder is giving possession in another apartment. That apartment is far from the city and I don’t want to take possession. Whether the builder can compel to take possession in another apartment? I have paid the full amount to the builder and nothing is due. Therefore, he wants to grab my money.


Builder cannot force you to take possession of a flat in another apartment because it is a breach of agreement to sell. When the particulars of a flat have been mentioned in the agreement to sell then the builder cannot sell another flat. Any deviation or change in agreement will cancel the original agreement. Thereafter, you have an option to refuse to perform the original agreement to sell. 

Builder cannot compel to take possession in another apartment

You can refuse to take possession of a flat in another apartment and claim a refund of money. If you agree to take possession of that flat you should substitute a new agreement. Section 62 of the Indian Contract Act explicitly says that novation of agreement rescinds the original agreement and parties are not bound to perform the original agreement. 

Also read: What to do when builder does not give possession of flat?

The proposed flat is far from the city and you don’t want to take possession of that flat. Hence, you should refuse the builder’s offer to take possession and claim a refund of money with interest. When the builder has offered to take possession of a flat in different apartment he has shown his intention to rescind the agreement to sell. Now you have accrued a right to cancel the agreement to sell.

Builder has breached the agreement hence, he is liable to compensate. The compensation shall be to the extent of financial loss you have suffered due to cancellation of agreement. You can also claim interest upon the money you have paid to the builder and litigation expenses. 

Flat buyer can also claim refund of money under RERA

Builder cannot offer to take possession of the flat in another apartment because he cannot deliver the agreed flat within time. Section 18 of the RERA empowers the flat buyer to claim refund of money from the builder or promoter if he fails to give possession of the flat within time. Each agreement to sell or allotment letters has a time period. The builder is bound to deliver the possession of the flat within that time.

Also read: How the flat buyer can claim refund from the builder

In your case, the construction is still in progress. Builder has promised to deliver the possession in 2018. The time is the essence of agreement therefore, the builder has to obey it. He has not followed the time period hence, you can claim refund of money under section 18 RERA with interest thereupon. Builder cannot absolve his responsibility by giving possession in another apartment.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Builder not providing parking spot as per the approved plan

Of the total parking slots allotted, two flats, 1503 and (705-6) are allotted spots on ‘humanitarian grounds.’ These two homes pay INR 2500+ per month for parking. Nominal parking rates in the building are Rs 200 per month. These houses with nominal parking rates have bought/included a parking spot as part of their main agreement itself. Currently no parking in the building is under stilt or in the garage. All cars are parked in the open and have no assigned/designated spots. In 2017, a SGM resolution was passed to take parking charges from flat 1503 (mine) as part of monthly maintenance. However, since Jan 2023, I have been asked to pay these charges in advance. Parking charges have been paid up to September 2023 in two instalments. Both the above instalments have been paid under ‘delayed circumstance’ due to the ongoing discussions to add, A total of 45 parking spots have been approved by BMC K-Ward and 1 each has been made available to tenants/members in houses with carpet area above 70 M.sq. One of the two houses is mine, aka 1503. (can share the exhibit if needed) My question therefore is:
1. Can the builder and later the society make allocations against the BMC’s approved list? 2. If yes, can I as owner and member of flat 1503 – question the MC/society and get my parking spot back? 3. Can the MC charge different rates for parking spots, those given via agreement and to those on ‘humanitarian grounds’? How do I fight this and what precedences and legal recourse do I have? Details: I am the house owner. The house is in Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra The building has two banks – which have been allocated 10 instead of 7 spots as per BMC approved list (can share if needed).

Labours are frequently entering our premises without permission

My neighbor’s plot is under construction, and the contractor and labours are frequently entering our premises without permission. They have also failed to clean up the construction materials and waste from our property. When I asked them to address this issue, the owner of the property used abusive language towards me and my family. Do you have any advice on how to handle this situation?

Can I seek quashing of FIR on expiry of limitation period?

FIR was charged against me on 02/05/2019. I was called to the police station on 02/12/2019 and was released on station bail. They have charged IPC 354 D (stalking through email). But after which no response was there. Recently I got a govt job and when applied for a police clearance certificate I came to know the FIR is pending. The police have not filed charge sheet till date to my knowledge. Can I quash the FIR based on expiry of limitation period.

My boyfriend raped me in the influence of narcotics drugs

Boyfriend had raped me after I said no to sex. I live in xxxxx, I was visiting my boyfriend and stayed at his flat at that time in xxx. We have been in a relationship of 1 year.  We’ve had a physical relationship where we had consensual sex whenever we met. He had been under the influence of Marijuana (and I don’t know what else) when he didn’t respect my no and raped me last week. This has happened once before with him (also when he was on the same drugs, some months ago) but he promised that it won’t happen again. He is a drug addict and takes it 2-3 times a week, at least for the last 5 years. What charges can I press on him?

What actions should you take against an attempt to murder?

My neighbour has attempted to murder in a land dispute. He along with others came to my house with firearms and started shouting, abusing and hitting my gate. When I came out to stop them from doing such a violence, they broke out and beat me with a club and sharp edge gandasa. I suffered some minor injuries on my arm, back and thigh. One injury on my head is severe. That is life threatening so I want to take proper legal action against them. Please suggest what actions I should take against them for an attempt to murder?

India: The Emerging Hub of Cyberstalking

Introduction: The digital age, while bringing numerous benefits, has also opened the doors to new forms of crime. With its massive internet user base, India is grappling with the dark side of the digital revolution: cyberstalking. While the country prides itself on...