Home | Legal Advice | Property Law | Builder and landlord dispute so can I take my money from the builder

Builder and landlord dispute so can I take my money from the builder

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: Builder and landlord dispute so can I take my money from the builder. Flats booked in 2009 ( not registered only have allotment letter full and final payment made by cheque) but the builder is still buying time.  The plot is still under dispute between the tenants, the landlord and the builder. No demolition done tenants are still living there , I’m a user not an investor staying on rental since 2009. Where my case stands in court of law, what are my options? Can I approach under consumer protection 2019 or this case can be sorted out in Maharera because it is 12 years now since the booking can’t wait any longer.

The Builder took too much time to complete this project. He does not want to return my money. In this situation what is the option available to me against the Builder for taking money. I am very sure that the Builder will not return my money. Can I initiate any legal proceeding against the Builder for refund of money either with interest or without interest?

Question from Maharashtra

You can initiate legal proceeding against the Builder either in the consumer forum or before the Maharera. I think this project is not registered under the Real Estate Regulation Act. You have only an allotment letter however you have paid full price. In spite of that you can take legal action against the builder for refund of money with interest.

Preceding under RERA 

Section 31 of the Real Estate Regulation Act provides that buyers can approach the rera authority even if property is not registered under rera. So you should approach the rera authority and claim a refund of money from the builder.

There is a dispute between the Builder and landlord. That dispute has existed for more than 12 years. Therefore it is not possible for the Builder to  give the possession of the flat within time. The condition of your case suggests that you should claim a refund from the builder with interest. Section 18 of the Real Estate Regulation Act empowers the buyer to get a refund from the builder with interest. 

Interest is right of the buyer if the builder does not give or transfer the possession of flat within a stipulated time. The Builder has received the full amount of the flat. He is not in the position to perform his promise i.e. to complete the construction within the time due to builder and landlord dispute.

You can also claim the refund of money in the proceeding before the consumer forum. The consumer forum has the power to compensate the buyer for his losses. When the builder has got benefit from your money then he shall compensate you. The consumer forum will direct the builder to pay the entire amount with interest.

Allotment letter 

Buyer issues allotment letter generally after receiving an amount which is at least 10% of the value of the flat. The Builder has to execute a buyer-builder agreement after the issuing of an allotment letter. This thing did not happen in your face case therefore, it is a fault of the Builder.

Allotment letter is a legal document and the Builder cannot deny that he has not received the whole amount. You can initiate legal proceedings on the basis of an allotment letter. If the allotment letter does not reflect payment of entire amount then you should take a certified copy from the bank to prove the payment.

Send a legal notice

You should send a legal notice to the Builder and claim a refund of the entire amount with interest. Take a copy of legal notice for filing a case against the builder for return of the amount. If the Builder does not refund the money then you should file a case either before the rera authority or  before the consumer forum. you should initiate proceeding before the RERA authority because it has better enforcement power than the consumer forum.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application

Question: Appeal against dismissal of interlocutory application. My Grandparents had 7 children and among them 4 sons and 3 daughters. Joint family property is around 130 acres which was divided among all family members under Registered Family Settlement (RFS) in 1972...

Sale deed time out

Question: We had sold our land to a company back in 2018. He kept delaying registration but he paid us in instalments. We have around 70% of the total amount but we haven't been in touch for the last 2 years. We have filled our presence in tehsil on the last decided...

Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife?

Question: Can husband gift mother’s property to his second wife? My husband married me after his divorce. He has a daughter from his first marriage and is living with her mom. I have also a daughter. My question is that if my husband gift me his mother's property to...

Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance?

Question: Can a Builder charge interest on Maintenance, Maintenance security deposit, Prime lending charges (PLC), and Documentation charges? The property was already built and ready to move. But due to a delay in payment, I had not taken possession yet.  Although I...

Recovery of money from elder brother

Question: My elder brother and two sons took a loan from me for agricultural land development and my brother gave surety for that amount. Later my brother's sons did not return money so went into court and in court my brother agreed that “he needed to pay money for my...

Buying property without home loan 

Question: I have booked a flat for Rs. 51000 in Badlapur, Maharashtra. The price of that 1 bhk is 28 lakhs. I am buying that property without a home loan. The builder said you will get possession till the end of July 2022. But the housing website is showing June 2023...

How to recover possession of my land?

Question: Buyer has illegally encroached on my grandfather's property. In this condition please suggest how to recover possession of my land? I am fighting for my grandfather's property. My Grandfather has agricultural land of about 17 acres. In 1988 my grandfather...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.