Home | Legal Advice | Criminal Law | Bail in dowry death cases : when the court can reject the bail

Bail in dowry death cases : when the court can reject the bail

Shivendra Pratap Singh


25/07/2021/ 3:01:26 PM

Reading Time:

Question: Can my son in law get bail in a dowry death case? When does the court reject the bail? My son in law has murder my daughter and hanged his body with ceiling fan. We got the information on mobile phone that my daughter has committed suicide. there was a demand for dowry, right from the beginning of the marriage. My son in law demanded a car which is out of our financial capacity. Hence, he murdered my daughter and committed dowry death. 

They are very influential people and they can manipulate the investigation. When we reached the house of my son in law we saw that the dead body of my daughter was hanging by the ceiling fan. There were so many people present and local police officers were also present. In the presence of the Deputy Superintendent the dead body of my daughter had taken down. There were several injury marks on her body. However the postmortem report says antemortem hanging but Injuries show that it was a murder.

Question from: Haryana

This is a clear case of dowry death. The death has committed in the matrimonial home under unnatural circumstances. If the death has been caused within seven years of marriage in unnatural circumstances. Then it is certainly a dowry death.

The court will not grant bail if ingredients of dowry death exist

It is a settled law that when the essential elements of dowry death exist in the case the court will not grant the bail to the accused. In your case however, postmortem reports suggest that it is a suicidal hanging but the injury marks on the dead body proof that it is a postmortem hanging. 

Section 304-B of the Indian penal Code defines the dowry death and provides punishment thereof. According to it the death should be committed in the matrimonial home in unnatural circumstances and within 7 years of marriage.

Ine Vishwajeet Halder Babu Haldar and others vs State of West Bengal [2008] 1 SCC 202; the supreme court explained the ingredients of the doll death as

  • The death of a woman has caused by burn or  fatal injury or otherwise than in the normal circumstances. 
  • Such death should have occurred within seven years of marriage. 
  • She must have been subjected to cruelty or harassment by her husband or any other relative of her husband. 
  • Such cruelty or harassment has caused in the connection with demand for dowry. 

All these ingredients exist in your case therefore the court will not grant bail. The court generally does not grant bail in dowry death cases, if the death is unnatural and committed in the matrimonial home within seven years of marriage.

Demand of dowry

You have to prima facie prove that there was demand of dowry and the deceased had suffered cruelty in connection with dovery. As you have mentioned in the question, your son in law was demanding a car. This demand comes under the purview of dowry.

In Satvir Singh versus State of Punjab [2001] 6 SCC 633; the Supreme Court has held that the word dowry should be any property or valuables given or agreed to be given in connection with the marriage. 

If you have agreed at the time of marriage that you will give a car. thereafter its demand from the husband of the deceased will constitute dowry. This evidence is enough to prove that there was cruelty in connection with demand for dowry at the time of death of the deceased.

If the accused are influential persons and they can manipulate the investigation, you can transfer the investigation to another district. You can file a petition before the High Court and the section 407 of the code of criminal procedure for transfer of case to another district. Fair investigation and fair trial is a fundamental right under Article 21 of the Constitution of India

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Transfer cheque bounce case to my current place of living

Question: I want to transfer cheque bounce case to my current place of living. I took a personal loan from Kotak Mahindra Bank for 4 lacs and had been paying EMI for up to 19 months and due to COVID and loss of job. After the moratorium, I am not able to pay my emi....

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CRD?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

A guilty person can lodge an FIR

Question: I want to know if a guilty person can lodge an FIR? If I beat someone due to harassment or any other criminal activity and an FIR is lodged against me, can I still lodge an FIR against the person I have beaten for his activity? Asked from: West Bengal Guilty...

Can I lodge an FIR after ten years of incident?

Question: My boyfriend had raped me in my PG when I was studying in engineering college. Now I have joined a multinational company and am working in Bangalore. He has traced me and is now trying to establish a relationship. I am married and a mother of two childs. Can...

Whether prostitute’s customer commits offence

Question: Police is calling prostitute’s customer. The police said that it is an offence under Section 3/4/5/7 of the Immoral Traffic Prevention Act. I want to know whether prostitute’s customer commits offence if he had sex with her? Mrs X is doing some sort of...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.