Home | Legal Advice | Civil Law Cases | Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Arbitration in respect of non-arbitrable issues

Shivendra Pratap Singh


17/04/2022/ 4:56:54 PM

Reading Time:

Question: Some tenders were issued during last financial year. Tenders were in respect of fencing and drainage on both sides of the road. The department has allotted those tenders to my company. Company has to conduct a survey of land and demarcate slope angle for the drainage.

My engineers have committed errors in finding slope and constructed drainage up to seven kilometres in length. One supervisor team found that mistake and directed the company to stop the drainage work immediately. In the work agreement no arbitration clause is existing regarding the compensation in respect of fault in the decision making process. 

But the company has filed an application under Section 11(6) of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act 1996 for the appointment of the arbitrator. The agreement is silent towards the compensation if fault is committed by the party. What should I do and what action is possible in the present circumstances?

My company has been suffering huge losses due to mistakes. The officers of the concerned department were not brought to notice until the supervisor is unveiled in his report. This is also the fault of the concerned department. It has the responsibility to check and inspect the work and intimate my engineers.

All payments are stalled and the department is not ready to clear a single cheque. If the same things persist the department can blacklist my company. Then I’ll not receive any tender from the government department. Please help. 

Asked from: Uttar Pradesh

You said that the particular issue is not mentioned in the arbitration clause of the tender agreement. If an issue which would likely to be decided by the arbitrator is not mentioned in the agreement, that issue is called a non-arbitrable issue. 

Hence, the party cannot execute an arbitration clause and cannot send that issue to the arbitrator for its decision. Arbitration is a mechanism for quick redressal of disputes out of the process of the court. 

This is out of the court settlement process hence, agreement between parties is mandatory. The parties to the agreement can settle their dispute through arbitration if these conditions are fulfilled:

  • Existence of arbitration clause in the agreement.
  • Enforceable claim is existing between the parties
  • The dispute is arbitrable i.e. parties are agreed to refer that dispute to the arbitrator.

In your case the third clause is not existing. The particular issue is non-arbitrable because you did not agree to refer that issue to the arbitrator for determination. 

Your engineers have committed mistakes in levelling of land. Hence, the slope of drainage is not proper. This is an extraneous condition and you did not think about this at the time of agreement. hence, not included this dispute in the agreement. In lack of particular provision in the agreement (tender agreement) you cannot refer this issue to the arbitrator. 

The Supreme Court in KSS KSSIIPL Consortium vs GAIL (India) Ltd (2015) 2 SCC (Civ) has held that before exercising power under Section 11(6) of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, to make appointment of the arbitrator, court has to determine existence of arbitrable dispute between the parties as per the terms of the contract.

In this situation you should file a civil suit for compensation. However, you cannot avail arbitration but you can still enforce your right through the regular legal process. You should send a legal notice to the department and demand compensation. Upon refusal to pay compensation you should file a civil suit.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Cancellation of Sale Agreement

Question: Cancellation of sale agreement without consent of party. I executed an agreement of sale for a 497 sq.yards site with a condition that I will get clearance from ULC. I took advance of 2 lakhs cheque and 2 lakhs cash, totalling to 4 lakhs. It's been 22 months...

Landlord does not provide a rent receipt

Question: After making rent payment, the landlord does not provide a rent receipt. Also not picking up calls & responding to messages. What action can be taken against him? Asked from: Maharashtra You should send to him a legal notice on his residential or postal...

Forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender

Question: I am a contractor and have some tenders in BHEL. The Bhel has forfeited earnest money because I have withdrawn a tender. So I want to know whether forfeiture of earnest money in withdrawal of tender is legal in India. BHEL has published tenders for the...

Mud road on my land :  How to get it back?

Question: Government has laid a mud road on my land a few years ago. I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to me. We do not know about this. How to get my land back? I have all documents stating the land where the road is laid belongs to...

Can mother execute a registered will

Question: Can mother execute a registered will towards the property which she had received from my deceased father? My father died in the year 2021 and he has named my mother as the 100% owner of the existing house in the registered will. I have 4 older brothers and 1...

Appointment of arbitrator under the agreement

Question: My firm is doing business of gravel supply to the government. I want to know whether the appointment of an arbitrator under the agreement is possible? Our firm got a tender from the public works department of Uttar Pradesh. According to the tender agreement...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.