Legal Advice

Alternate accommodation under the domestic violence act


My wife wants alternate accommodation under the Domestic Violence Act. She filed a complaint under section 12 of the domestic violence act and claimed residence order and protection order. There was some dispute between her and my mother. She has lived in my house only for two years, during her stay in the matrimonial home she always created chaos on petty issues. She has ruined my life, and now I want to get rid of her. Can the Magistrate direct me to provide to her an alternate accommodation?


Your wife has the legal right to reside in her matrimonial home under Section 17 of the Domestic Violence Act, which grants her the right to residence. However, she does not have any proprietary rights or ownership over your house. It is your responsibility as her husband to provide her with a safe and secure living space.

Your wife can only claim the right to reside in the shared household. The definition of a shared household is quite broad, encompassing any place where she has lived or currently lives after marriage. The Supreme Court has interpreted this definition liberally to protect victims of domestic violence.

If your wife proves domestic violence in the shared household, the court can pass an order of alternate accommodation under Section 19(1)(f) of the DV Act. This is only possible if the court deems the shared household to be unsafe for your wife. The court may then direct you to provide alternate accommodation that is equivalent to the shared household.

To pass an order for alternate accommodation, the court will consider several factors, including the severity of the domestic violence, your financial condition, and the circumstances of the case. The court may only pass such an order if your wife faced extreme violence in the shared household, you have the financial means to provide alternate accommodation, and other circumstances require such an order.

It is essential to note that the court cannot pass a general order for alternate accommodation. The decision must be based on the facts and circumstances of the case, and it should be the last resort to provide a safe and peaceful abode for the wife.

In your case, if you can prove that your wife left the matrimonial home without any reason or that the allegations of domestic violence are false, frivolous, or made with the intent to harass you and your family, you may be able to defeat her in the lawsuit.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Father can transfer entire property to grandmother

My age is 16 and I’m the only son. My mother died 3 years back and so now my father is going to re-marry. It’s a very tough situation, my father says that he’ll give the entire property and assets to my grandmother and then she’ll give all that to me when I’m old enough. Everything we own is ancestral property but then there is also assets like gold or silver. So is there any chance that my stepmother can acquire all that and push me out. I’m scared please answer.

Tenant has made substantial changes in premises without permission of landlord

I am writing to seek your professional advice regarding a situation I am facing with my tenant. Over the past three years, my tenant has not paid rent, and I am concerned about the legal steps I can take to address this issue. Can I terminate the rent agreement based on this non-payment?

Additionally, I recently discovered that the tenant has undertaken significant alterations to the property without my knowledge or consent. This includes filling a large cavity, which seems to have resulted from his negligence. He has also installed an extra bathroom, toilet, and kitchen on the premises without obtaining proper authorization. It appears that he neglected to properly fill the trenches used to lay sewerage and water lines, leading to structural damage such as cracks in the walls and ceiling. He has written that he has spent on filling up the cavity but has not given details of expenses. However, he is trying to link it with non-payment of rent.

Given these circumstances, the tenant is now requesting extensive repairs to the property. I would like to mention that the tenant is 90 years old, and all of his sons have their own residences. It seems that he intends for his grandson to continue residing in the property as a tenant.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance on the legal options available to me in this situation. Your expertise and advice will be invaluable in helping me navigate this complex matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

P.S. How can I send the rent agreement cum compromise?

NOC from government for taking admission in foreign university

I am a govt servant and currently in a process of making applications to numerous foreign universities  for a PhD program.  I asked my organization for a general NOC applicable to all universities. They denied and asked me to mention the name of the university to which I am applying.  As currently I am in a process of making applications and my admission is not yet confirmed. I cannot mention a list of 10-50 universities in my application.  Kindly help me write an appeal / application for issuance of a general NOC.