Legal Advice

Advocate has withdrawn the writ petition without consent of petitioner

Question: I am working as headmaster of the school. My advocate has withdrawn the writ petition without consent of petitioner i.e. me. I joined the school in April 2013. Well Before my joining, in November 2012 ,an agreement had been made by the then headmaster for construction of a Kasturba building run under Bihar education project of sarv shiksha abhiyan.  But departmental engineers made no effort to get the work started, no lay-out was done by them. When I joined the school ,the departmental engineers and the officers began to put pressure on me to start the work. Lay-out was done in june 2013. In the process, it was found that the available land was not sufficient enough to carry on construction work.  The agreement was forced to be done without the land having been measured.It was a grave mistake on part of the engineers.In that situation, a new site adjacent to the previous site was searched. It was a vast and big ditch. The then executive engineer changed the design spread foundation was changed to pile foundation, plain structure was changed to RCC structure.  Estimate was also and estimate was finalised on 17-08-2013. No fresh agreement was executed with me. Before it on 11-08-2013, Bihar government issued a new schedule of rates effective from 11-08-2013. But the estimate was prepared on the basis of rates prevailing in 2011. Between 2011 to 2013, the prices of materials and labour increased drastically.  I had to suffer huge losses on account of high increases in prices of materials and labour. It was all due to the fault of engineers on account of which the work started very late.I was not a bit responsible.  When measurement book was prepared,it was found that many works had not been incorporated despite the fact that they were in the design and the work was actually done. That again amounted to a huge loss.  I preferred a writ petition in 2018 in Patna high court to direct the department to book the MB on the basis of 2013 schedule of rates which prevailed at the time of making the estimate and incorporate all the items which were left in measurement.  But the sad fact is that after a lapse of four years in july 2022, my advocate all of sudden withdrew my case without my consent. When I asked the reason, he gave a quite vague explanation. He must have taken my consent.  I am sadly surprised how he can withdraw my case without my consent. Please guide me what I can do in that situation. I can not leave out such a huge loss. I am determined to fight my case till the last remedy available.


The advocate cannot act in contrary to the interest of his client. If the client has not given his consent to withdraw his writ petition, the advocate cannot withdraw the writ petition on behalf of the petitioner. 

In this situation you should move a petition in the High Court for restore the writ petition and initiation of an inquiry against the advocate for his misconduct. This act i.e. withdrawal of writ petition without receiving consent or instruction of the petitioner, comes under the purview of misconduct as provided in the Advocates Act 1961.

Shivendra Pratap Singh


High Court Lucknow

Latest Advice

Stepmother can get share in ancestral property after death of father

My stepmother is asserting her share in the ancestral property, currently registered under my late grandfather’s name, who passed away four years ago. The property is yet to be distributed, and my stepmother vacated our ancestral home three years ago, residing elsewhere with her daughter. The daughter, who lived with us before marrying 25 years ago and subsequently leaving our house, is now asserting her rights over the property. I seek advice on the validity of my stepmother and her daughter’s claim to my father’s property following his demise.

I lied to my boyfriend about my divorce now he refuses to marry

In 2017, I separated from an abusive marriage. After some time, I started dating someone. In 2021, I got divorced, but I didn’t disclose this to him because I was concerned that he might judge me. Now he is refusing to marry. We have been in a sexual relationship for three years. He is 23 years old and my age is 38. I love him because his sexual orientation meets my desire. How to initiate a legal process to compel him for marriage?

Can a single accused seek quashing of FIR

An FIR has been filed against four accused individuals, and Accused No. 4 possesses a distinct identity. Question: Is it possible for the High Court to quash the FIR only against Accused No. 4? An FIR has been registered, and a C-Summary has been submitted to the Honourable Magistrate. The complainant has filed a Protest Petition, leading the Honourable Magistrate to return the C-Summary to a new Investigating Officer for further inquiry. Question: At this stage, can the alleged Accused No. 4 seek relief by approaching the High Court to have his name quashed from the FIR?

School authorities are creating a private nuisance

I have been living in a residential area for more than 17 years. There is a school behind our house, and it does not have any wall connecting to our house. Recently, they have constructed a horse shed without any wall, using iron pillars. Now, I am unable to sleep in my bedrooms due to the horses kicking on my wall and the noises they create. Additionally, I am unable to use my rooftop because of the foul smell generated by their excreta. The condition of my wall is deteriorating due to this shed. I had previously approached the SDM office, but the opposing party allegedly bribed the official. What legal remedy should I pursue against the school authorities?

My wife and her family don’t allow me to meet my daughters

My wife and her family does not allow to meet my daughters since 1 year. My elder daughter is of 3 years and younger is of 10 months but they not allow me to meet them. many times me and my family members try to take her back to house but she demand to do property on her name .since 1 year she is with her parents she did not even tell me how is my daughter’s and did not allow to talk to them on call.

Husband denied to access my matrimonial home

I resided with my husband for a duration of five months in an apartment. The house is registered in the name of my father-in-law, yet my in-laws reside in a different state. I am the individual who invested all of my finances in the interior and household accessories for the house. This decision was made under the understanding that it is my residence, and consequently, I am accountable for its furnishings. I willingly accepted and utilized my entire salary for this purpose.

However, my husband is engaged in an extramarital affair and desires to marry his girlfriend. He is pressuring me to initiate a divorce and is also subjecting me to physical harassment. In response, I have filed for a Domestic Violence Complaint (DVC) seeking a residential order. Unfortunately, I am being denied access to my home, with the explanation that it belongs to my father-in-law. I am in need of assistance; please help me.

CO of the same regiment headed SCM: Can I challenge the proceedings of SCM?

I was detailed on duty on 2045 hours thereafter, an officer came and found me sleeping. He then slapped me and called me to appear in office on the next day. On the very next day that officer abused me then I slapped him in front of some other soldiers. This incident was recorded and SCM was recommended after the court of inquiry. The CO of the same regiment headed the SCM. He was biased and conducted one sided trial. Thereafter I am discharged from the service. My total length of service is thirteen years nine months sixteen days. Is there any change of reinstatement?

Terminated from service on the ground of bigamy

Enlisted in the Indian Army in 2001, I married in 2006. While on duty in Arunachal Pradesh, my wife engaged in an extramarital relationship with a civilian, prompting me to send a legal notice for divorce. We divorced in 2013 after she initially filed a divorce and maintenance case in 2010, which we later resolved through mutual consent. In the same year, she also accused me of bigamy, leading to termination from the Army. Seeking guidance on the appropriate course of action in this matter.