Home | Legal Advice | Maintenance Cases | Adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc

Adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc

Shivendra Pratap Singh


21/09/2021/ 12:46:08 PM

Reading Time:

I want adjustment in amount of maintenance under Section 125 crpc. My wife has filed a case in Section 125 crpc for maintenance. I have been ordered to pay maintenance. Hence I have been paying the maintenance to my wife since 2009 till 2020. Now, the problem is that my wife when claiming for maintenance she produced evidence that my earning is about 60,000/- per month as a salary. 

When I was working in dubai I got sixty thousand as salary. Now, after that, I have lost the job & since my health problem & age 54 years. I cannot work or get any job. now, on 15-09-2021, again the same application is made, that i am earning rs. 60,000/- per month. judges are not listening to the truth & always have given the wrong order. please suggest what to do? I am suffering from high sugar level, hiv+, does not have gall bladder, fracture in leg.

Question from: Gujrat

You should file a revision before the High Court if that order has been passed by the Family Court otherwise file revision before the Court of Sessions. When you have lost your job and are suffering from severe health problems the court is bound to decrease the amount of maintenance. 

According to Section 127 of the code of criminal procedure (crpc) the court has the power to amend the order of maintenance on the changes of circumstances. The circumstances of the case have changed. You have lost your job and are not able to earn sixty thousand rupees. Hence, the court must decrease the amount of maintenance. 

Adjustment in amount of maintenance

The husband pays maintenance out of the net income. Court excludes the expenses and liability of the husband from his salary or income. Then the court decides the amount of maintenance. You have been suffering from severe health problems so the net income has already decreased. Therefore, the court is bound to adjust the amount of maintenance. 

However, the husband is bound to maintain his wife. If the husband is jobless, this fact does not absolve the right of a wife to get maintenance from the husband. But the court is bound to fix a reasonable and justifiable amount of maintenance. Income of the husband is a crucial factor to decide the amount of maintenance. 

Therefore, you should file a revision application and seek adjustment of maintenance amount as per the current circumstances of the case. Your case is genuine and you’ll get justice from the court. Adduce relevant documents about your income and health expenses. Those documents will help the court to adjust the amount of maintenance. 

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband

Can I get maintenance from my unemployed husband? My husband is unemployed due to heavy losses in business during the Covid period. He is still not working but capable of feeding his family. Recently he has developed an illegal relationship with his ex-employee and is...

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

The court cannot pass a maintenance order under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (crpc) without hearing or giving the opportunity of hearing to the husband. If the court did so, it has breached the principle of natural justice. The husband should file an application under section 126 crpc for setting aside that order. There is a period of limitation for filing of such an application u/s 126 crpc

Notice under section 128 crpc

I have received a notice under section 128 crpc. My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 of the code of criminal procedure. The court has passed final order in that case to pay rupees seven thousand per month as a maintenance. This is too high maintenance...

लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रहने वाली महिला मित्र भी भरण-पोषण का दावा कर सकती है

मैं पिछले 10 वर्षों से अपने पुरुष मित्र के साथ लिव इन रिलेशनशिप में रह रही हूं. मेरे एक 6 साल की बेटी भी है. विगत 3 महीनों से मेरा मित्र मुझे घर से निकालने का धमकी दे रहा है और उसने मुझसे सभी प्रकार के संपर्क समाप्त कर लिया है. कई बार मेरा उससे बहस होती है कि अब मैं...

Can educated wife claim maintenance under section 125 CRPC

मेरी पत्नी ने मेरे तथा मेरी मां के विरुद्ध घरेलू हिंसा का केस दर्ज किया था जो कि न्यायालय द्वारा 5 फरवरी 2020 को खारिज कर दिया गया है. इसके पश्चात मेरी पत्नी ने अपने मायके जाकर धारा 125 के अंतर्गत भरण पोषण का दावा किया है. मेरी पत्नी शैक्षणिक रूप से सक्षम है तो क्या...

Excessive maintenance under Section 125 crpc

Judicial Magistrate has awarded excessive maintenance under section 125 crpc. An Order on section 125 crpc is passed by Kalyani judicial magistrate court ordering a final maintenance amount of Rs.7000. The wife has left me on her own will and I have sent 3 letters...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.