Paid Advise

Accused did not issue a cheque to the complainant

Shivendra Pratap Singh



Reading Time:

Question: My cheque is being misused and bounced and a RENT SUIT is filed in a state other than my own state and First hearing itself is due. Appearance of Accused. I got notice but as I was not at home so it returned. Accused did not issue a cheque to the complainant. Another person filed cheque bounce case to whom I did not issue the cheque. This cheque was not given to this person but was with someone known to both of us (Common friends). To harass me he gave it to him and initiated the above mentioned action. Case is filed under NI 138 Act. What counter action can I file in my own state? As per new guidelines, Before issuing summons to the accused, considering the party’s territorial jurisdiction, the Magistrate is bound to hold an enquiry for the same. But no such steps are being taken in my case as seen online.

Asked from: Gujarat

Can you prove that the said cheque was misused by the complainant? If you have evidence to prove that you issued the said cheque to the person other than the complainant then you can quash this criminal case. The complainant, in dishonour of cheque, has to prove that 

  • Accused issued the cheque in discharge of liability.
  • The said cheque was issued to the complainant. 
  • The complainant has the right to recover the dues through encashment of cheque.

Hence, the complainant cannot use the cheque which was originally issued to another person. In this matter, your reply to the demand notice becomes important. You should raise your objection against the encashment of the cheque and explicitly mention it in the demand notice. 

If you have objected to the encashment on the ground that you have not issued that cheque in discharge of liability then you can file a petition in the High Court for quashing. The High Court has power under Section 482 crpc to quash a false and frivolous proceeding.

If the accused did not issue a cheque to the complainant, no offence made out under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instrument Act.

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh


Practising lawyer in the High Court Lucknow. You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

Can investigating officer send the document to FSL?

Question: Can investigating officer send the document to FSL? I am 75 years Retd ISRO scientist in Hyderabad.  Seeking your advice/suggestion/consultation on a small clarification. I had bought 1 Acr land  in 1997 and got it mutated in 2019. ROR is in my...

Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid? 

Question: Prosecution sanction by competent authority is granted after lapse of stipulated period mandated and specified under Section 19 of the P. C. amendment act 2018. Prosecution sanctioned not in three months is it valid?  Whether the sanction is valid or...

Case filed based on False Sale Agreement 

Question: I am 74 yrs old so don't want the case to drag on for obvious reasons. Hence this query. Never had a brush with court in these 74 years but NOW I have been made respondent in a case against me based on a clearly Forged document.  Bought 1 acr land in...

How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone?

Question: I am from Kolkata. my Phone has some last memories of my grandma. I lost my mobile on 16.05.2022 and my mobile rang for about 6 hours and then switched off. How to lodge FIR in loss of mobile phone? Obviously it's switched off by someone. I went to the local...

Can I file FIR against husband in delhi for bigamy?

Question: Our marriage solemnised in the UAE. My husband is working in the UAE. After I got married in UAE on 5th Feb 2022 I came to know that I have been cheated. My husband was married 2 times before Married to me. He has not dissolved his previous marriage. Can I...

Physical assault from my boyfriend

Question: Physical assault from my boyfriend. I went to the police station for an FIR but they refused to lodge. They said to approach the court and file the complaint. As I was afraid he could do the same to me, I left him and went to my place as we are living in a...

Withdraw criminal case in the absence of accused

Question: Is it possible to withdraw a criminal case in the absence of an accused? Hi Sir, My sister in law filed two cases against my brother which were 1. Warrant of Summons Criminal Case, IPC none 2. Criminal Misc. Cases, IPC. For one of them I've received court...

Search and arrest by police in a different state

Question: The police of Uttarakhand come to Uttar Pradesh, search and arrest a person under NDPS Act. Police of Uttarakhand become the complainant of the case. Can they really do so? Search and arrest by police in a different state is possible or not. Asked from:...

Can we prove our absence through the CDR?

Question: We are facing the false family matters cases at Jhansi courts. Can we prove our absence through the CRD? Can I get it from the court? Date of incidence on record is 23.06.2019 at Jhansi. But we weren't in Jhansi at that time. In Fact we were at our...

Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC?

Question: Allegation made under 468 IPC. Now the parties have settled the matter. But the trial is proceeding. So can we quash the case? Can the court quash the FIR lodged under Section 468 IPC? Asked from: Uttar Pradesh Section 468 of Indian Penal Code is a non...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.