Paid Advise

A maintenance order without hearing the husband is void

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

Online advising since Oct. 2014

Family Law | Maintenance

Reading Time:

My wife filed a maintenance case under section 125 CrPC. The court has passed a maintenance order without hearing the husband. I did not appear in court due to illness and fear of covid infection. My wife’s advocate appears in the court and says that the husband does not honour the court. The court, without giving me one more opportunity to appear, has passed the maintenance order. Sir, what remedy do I still have to save me from such a bad judgment?

Question from: Uttar Pradesh

Prima facie it seems that the court has passed an ex-parte order. The court can pass an ex-parte order when the respondent willfully neglects to attend the court. If you are deliberately and intentionally obstructing the process of court then the court will pass an ex-parte order. 

The court does not pass an ex-parte order on the very first absence of the opposite party. If he remains absent on several occasions despite having the opportunity to attend the court then the court will pass an ex-parte order.

Maintenance order without hearing the husband 

You are alleging that the court has passed an order of maintenance without giving you any opportunity of hearing. If the court did so, it has violated the principle of natural justice. Audi alteram partem is a Latin phrase which means “listen to the other side”, or “let the other side be heard as well.” This phrase is considered to be a principle of natural justice.

Also read: How to get stay order against section 125 crpc

In Union of India v. W. N. Chadha AIR 1993 SC 1082, the Supreme Court has held that the rule of audi alteram partem is a rule of justice. This principle of natural justice controls the arbitrary action of the court and quasi judicial body. An arbitrary judgment is illegal and void in the eyes of law.

Opportunity of hearing

The court is bound to give the opportunity of hearing to both parties. Opportunity must be sufficient otherwise it shall be treated as denial of justice. You said that the court has passed a maintenance order without hearing the husband (you). If such things had happened in delivery of justice then the court acted biasly.  

You had no “opportunity to hear” is an important fact. You have to prove this fact when you challenge the veracity of the order. The burden of proof lies upon you. You should take a certified copy of the order sheet. The order sheet will prove the fact that which party had the opportunity to defend his case. If you have the proof then you should file an appeal otherwise move an application to set aside this order.

File an application under section 126 CrPC for setting aside the order

The court has passed an ex-parte order because you willfully remained absent in the court. If you have sufficient reason or good cause to not attend the court then you should move an application under section 126 of the CrPC. This section empowers the court to set aside the ex-parte order. There is a three months limitation period to file such an application. 

Section 126 states that any (ex-parte) order so made may be set aside for good cause shown on an application made within three months from the date thereof subject to such terms including terms at to payment of costs to the opposite party as the Magistrate may think just and proper.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shivendra pratap singh advocate

Shivendra Pratap Singh

Advocate (Lucknow)

You can consult on Criminal, Civil, Matrimonial, Writ, Service matters, Property, Revenue and RERA related issues.

More For you

What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? 

Question: What happens if I break my girlFriend engagement? My girlfriend is engaged with another person without informing me, now I want to marry her, but she moved on. What I can do in this situation shall I approach the groom to convince.  Asked from: Uttar Pradesh...

Increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce

Question: Can I claim for increasing maintenance in mutual consent divorce? Whether maintenance granted under consent terms in mutual divorce can be directly enhanced under 127 crpc without any order under 125 crpc.  Asked from: Goa The decree of mutual consent...

Will my husband get baby boy custody?

Question: I got married on 3rd march 2020. I have a one year old baby boy. My husband is an alcoholic smoker, drug abuser, ganja addict. He is always there in fights, he even has a sword and gun, he beats me and even has extramarital affairs. Now I have left his house...

My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair

Question: My minor son sent messages to my husband about my affair. He sent a message to my husband that I have an affair but later he realised and asked sorry, but husband using that message in court to prove I have affair what to do? Asked from: Karnataka I think...

How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months?

Question: I was married to my boyfriend when I was studying in B.Tech. We solemnised our marriage in a temple. How to get a mutual consent divorce within six months? All those things happened in hush-hush. No one knew about our marriage but we got registration of our...

Legal validity of consensual relationship with brother

Question: It is a complicated situation for me, I am a 40 year old lady. My husband was an abuser and we have legally divorced 6 years ago without any issues left. I left my hometown, came to Delhi to join a job and started staying with my brother who is never married...

Wife filed false case of rape on my brother

Question: Date (July -21) - After one month, she filed section 125 and demanded 25 lakh (They spent on marriage around 2 to 2.5 Lacs Maximum) Date (Aug -21) - Then I filed a case under section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Wife filed false case of rape on my...

Kanoonirai has been advising in legal issues since October 2014. You can consult a lawyer through online media, telephonic consultation and video conferencing.